Help needed again!!!!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Help needed again!!!!

Postby Stephen » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:51 pm

Hi Lads,

Has anyone ever had to have there CB Joints (I Think) replaced. I have been getting a kinda knocking noise from my front wheels and a friend of mine says he had this problem with his lancer and that he got these things replaced and that sorted it!! If you think this maybe the problem any ideas wee to get them done around dublin and a rough price. :?:

Cheers Lads,

Stephen
Stevo
Stephen

Re: Help needed again!!!!

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:39 pm

Stephen wrote:Hi Lads,

Has anyone ever had to have there CB Joints (I Think) replaced. I have been getting a kinda knocking noise from my front wheels and a friend of mine says he had this problem with his lancer and that he got these things replaced and that sorted it!! If you think this maybe the problem any ideas wee to get them done around dublin and a rough price. :?:

Cheers Lads,

Stephen

Hi Stephen

They're actually called CV (constant velocity) joints. Get into an empty car park and run the car around in circles with a full lock on the steering, swap direction and then do the same with the steering orientated in the opposite direction. If you hear a constant knocking noise on one side (which is usually the case) then the CV joint has seized. As regards a replacement, I'm unsure, I'd say that a CV joint off a Glanat GSi might do the job, I'll fire a mail off to Rory to see if he can help.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:42 pm

Jack up the car and see if the CV rubber boot is torn. What happens is when the boot is open the grease gets washed out and dirt gets in and wears the ball bearings inside the joint.
You should only have the noise when the steering is locked unless they are very badly worn
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:50 pm

I gave it a try and its definately the CV joints - i friend of mine whos a mechanic is gonna have a look at it on the weekend he said it shouldnt be to expensive so i wil let yous know how i get on cheers for the advise
Stevo
Stephen

Return to FTO Technical