Inner chassis rust

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Inner chassis rust

Postby Superwofy » Wed May 27, 2015 1:23 am

Lately, my only hobby has been cleaning rust off the FTO. Mostly surface stuff, tho I've had some pieces welded in on the front chassis legs. I'm still working on the rear crash bar and bumper supports; lots of areas to go, still.

I was wondering if any of you guys have addressed the issue of rust inside the frame. I've had a look inside the rails into which the rear crash bar fits and there is plenty of rust present. Wire brushing is out of the question since I couldn't really fit one except really close to the outside.

Two products I've found seem applicable: the Dynax S-50 wax and Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. I've read good things about both. Don't know which one would be better; or if any other solutions exist, for that matter.

Don't know if this is limited to FTO's but it seems as if behind every panel I pull is a nasty amount of rust :( .

-Adrian.
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Inner chassis rust

Postby Temeeo » Wed May 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Fair play to you for doing all the work, it will be great when it's all done. Have you found any long term reviews of the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating (when applied to areas with surface rust)? Most I've just looked at are from people that have just recently applied the product.

I think whichever product you use will be better than nothing, I'll be using Dynax for the GX as I have few cans laying around.

Post up some pictures for inspiration.
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Superwofy » Wed May 27, 2015 11:33 pm

Temeeo wrote:Fair play to you for doing all the work, it will be great when it's all done. Have you found any long term reviews of the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating (when applied to areas with surface rust)? Most I've just looked at are from people that have just recently applied the product.

I think whichever product you use will be better than nothing, I'll be using Dynax for the GX as I have few cans laying around.

Post up some pictures for inspiration.

In terms of 'long-term' this is all I've seen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5772075&sid=14ef460beb5f0b3b7106f609e01aac3e#5772075. Think I'll try it anyway and report back. Thankfully, the FTO's unibody isn't all that complex. Only the rails are a big issue. I'm thinking of using compressed air to try and blow out as much of the flaking rust and dust as possible and then apply Eastwood's product.

I'm also thinking of using Dynax (or waxoyl?) on top of the frame coating. This would 'ensure' that it is properly sealed. I'll be getting a borescope camera too, so I can get some pictures of the before, after and also seeing how it holds up.
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby rwheels82GPX » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Does anybody know where you can get the Eastwood inner frame coating in Ireland?
rwheels82GPX
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Daz » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 am

rwheels82GPX wrote:Does anybody know where you can get the Eastwood inner frame coating in Ireland?

Amazon will probably be your best bet
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby rwheels82GPX » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:37 pm

Cheers yeah its looking that way but coming up as out of stock,there are a few places in Uk that do some seemily.It looks like the only stuff for the job anyway so worth getting.
rwheels82GPX
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical