1998 Black GPvR Aero Series---how much?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

1998 Black GPvR Aero Series---how much?

Postby adrian » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:18 pm

gents,

I have seen a 1998 GPvR on the auctions in Japan. I can't bid on it and it'll be gone tomorrow (as my deposit for bidding hasn't gone through yet) but how much you think its be worth. It's graded 4 outta 5 in condition and has only 25k KMs on. Looks lovely...it's the one in my previous "Spot th diffference" post.

It would stand me, if no-one bids much higher, about 17,000 Euro on the road here BEFORE an NCT. Does that seem a bit high....resale in 2 or 3 years considered too??

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Re: 1998 Black GPvR Aero Series---how much?

Postby CJ » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:35 pm

adrian wrote:I have seen a 1998 GPvR on the auctions in Japan. I can't bid on it and it'll be gone tomorrow (as my deposit for bidding hasn't gone through yet) but how much you think its be worth. It's graded 4 outta 5 in condition and has only 25k KMs on. Looks lovely...it's the one in my previous "Spot th diffference" post.

It would stand me, if no-one bids much higher, about 17,000 Euro on the road here BEFORE an NCT. Does that seem a bit high....resale in 2 or 3 years considered too??

Most cars I've come across for auction tend to be graded 3/5, so that one is obviously in good nick. Some people will tell you you're paying too much, but this is a personal choice. If it was me, I'd spend the money. The fact is that you will not find another 98 GPvR in the country. I reckon if a dealer had one, they'd be looking for maybe 18k or so. You won't be saving a lot but you're paying for a unique car. I can't imagine the depreciation being great on a car of this type, in two tears time, you'd probably be talking 10k or so. At that stage, most 94/95 models will be looking a bit tired looking so you'll have an edge when you do finally decide to move on.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:11 pm

adrian wrote:It would stand me, if no-one bids much higher, about 17,000 Euro on the road here BEFORE an NCT. Does that seem a bit high....resale in 2 or 3 years considered too??

A

Like Ciaran says, it's really down to personal choice. I know that won't help so here's my personal take on it.

At the end of the day the only people that will really know the difference are FTO enthusiasts and for €18K I would want a much more obvious indication that my car is a 'special' model. If I had decided to spend €18K on an FTO then I would be looking for the best manual GR or GPX I could find for €12K and then spend the remaining €6K on modding - leather, 18's, coilovers, trut braces, a host of engine mods (induction kit, exhaust, larger throttle bodies etc.), some subtle body mods, big brakes (brembo) and some serious ICE. I think you'd end up with a car with more visual impact, better handling and better performance but that also has a touch of luxury.

Personally I'd say 18K for a 1998 GPvR is not worth it unless you are fanatical about your FTOs. Think about this - a lot of the kids around where my folks live reckon that my car must have cost me over €30K - so for €5K I reckon I'd get the same reaction as an €18K GPvR and if I spent €2K-€4K I reckon I could get an even bigger reaction......

But then that's just me :LOL:

I look at the pictures of Daz's car and think "wow", I look at the pictures of the GPvR you posted and think "that would look nice lowered with some big wheels and a nice exhaust".
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:22 pm

Very good points Shane, em.....the search continues.
I still have to sell my own GS also, maybe I should put more effort onto that....like actually advertising it!!

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Daz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:45 pm

shane wrote:
Like Ciaran says, it's really down to personal choice. I know that won't help so here's my personal take on it.

At the end of the day the only people that will really know the difference are FTO enthusiasts and for €18K I would want a much more obvious indication that my car is a 'special' model. If I had decided to spend €18K on an FTO then I would be looking for the best manual GR or GPX I could find for €12K and then spend the remaining €6K on modding - leather, 18's, coilovers, trut braces, a host of engine mods (induction kit, exhaust, larger throttle bodies etc.), some subtle body mods, big brakes (brembo) and some serious ICE. I think you'd end up with a car with more visual impact, better handling and better performance but that also has a touch of luxury.

Personally I'd say 18K for a 1998 GPvR is not worth it unless you are fanatical about your FTOs. Think about this - a lot of the kids around where my folks live reckon that my car must have cost me over €30K - so for €5K I reckon I'd get the same reaction as an €18K GPvR and if I spent €2K-€4K I reckon I could get an even bigger reaction......

But then that's just me :LOL:

I look at the pictures of Daz's car and think "wow", I look at the pictures of the GPvR you posted and think "that would look nice lowered with some big wheels and a nice exhaust".

Ah shane thats fairly right on the money espically your last few lines hee hee :D :D :D but seriously yes mine does have a little bit of the wow factor compared to some other FTO's but i'd still kill for a 98 GPvR ok i wouldn't go down the road of seriously modding it like i have done on my GPX i hate recalling how nuch it has cost me and how much i'd lose if i was to sell it now, thats why i'm looking for a second car and keeping my baby, till it gets to the time i can't afford them both. but yes 18k is slightly high if it is a GPvR in standard trim, that white one in englang for 17K is a better deal by far as you will have to do nothing to that than change the alloys and if you already have a larger set on your present one then switch them over.

Just my 2p

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to General FTO Discussion