lenght of ownership

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

lenght of ownership

Postby Daz » Fri May 27, 2016 12:33 am

After seeing kace is stll going strong on here, it has got me a wondering how long people continuously own an FTO for
Now for me its a long time and ok not the same FTO but i have always owned one since i first bought one without any gaps.
Bought first FTO in july 1998 i remember it well. It was an impulse buy, was at a karting event and had never seen an FTO before and there in the carpark was this amazing looking car... i came second in karting event and walked out with the winner chatting and we walked towards the FTO i mentioned to him what an amazing car it was and would love to know who owned it. To which he pulled out his keys and bipped the alarm... so not only had he beat me he had the bloody car too.... well that was it i offered to buy the car he laughed and said no told him i was serious and name a price which he did i told him 2 days i'd be back after bank opened.... and i haven't looked back since. That was a black gpx tiptronic
Then in i think it was 2002 i went looking at a red gpx manual for a friend who wanted one, hed been a crx driver for years. He was gonna buy it but couldn't get insurance for some reason. But i couldn't let it go it had the sweetest engine and gearbox i'd ever driven on an FTO so when he told me he couldn't buy it i phoned owner and bought it.
I eventually sold my black one a year or so later (broke my heart that with the money i pumped into it) but couldnt give up the manual. Moved to england took it with me and still have it.
In 2007 bought a GS and an evo III for the intention of building a 4wd turbo trackday FTO but became a dad for first time in 2008 so money dried up then. By 2009 found it too hard with FTO and baby on my back!! so it got parked and family car bought but now its time to make a comeback

So all in all i have had nonstop FTO ownership for 18yrs in july what about the rest of ye!!!

Oh forgot to say still have GS too. Don't have evo thou but do have the bits from it (engine...4wd system etc) before it was scrapped god knows when but hopefully i'll get the money together to finish that project off!!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Re: lenght of ownership

Postby Kace » Sun May 29, 2016 11:35 pm

You've got me beat Daz - 17 years done this month for me, same car though.

I think that some of the lads on here currently will probably keep their cars for another 17 years though - some great restoration work being done !!
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Mon May 30, 2016 12:41 am

Have the white one the past 3 years, as ive converted it to 1.3 turbo and registered as 1.3 so very low running costs i plan to stick to it as long as i can :)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Peewee » Mon May 30, 2016 11:48 am

I bought my first back in 1998, kept 5 years, the longest I ever kept a car at that stage.
I always hankered for another ever since, what do they say "you never forget your first" :smt023
Peewee
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Temeeo » Mon May 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Bought my first FTO about 3 years ago (the white GPX) it was meant to be keeper (Jay Leno style keeper as in I was going to keep it for good) then it got written off after an accident. Not sure about the GX, just ordered 5zigen exhaust for it plus sorting other stuff bit by bit each month so there are no immediate plans to sell it.
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Daz » Mon May 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Kace wrote:You've got me beat Daz - 17 years done this month for me, same car though.

I think that some of the lads on here currently will probably keep their cars for another 17 years though - some great restoration work being done !!

Ah i may have ya beat by a year but you have me beat hands down on ownership of the same one thou... so call it a draw... :lol:
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Daz » Mon May 30, 2016 10:43 pm

brccrx wrote:Have the white one the past 3 years, as ive converted it to 1.3 turbo and registered as 1.3 so very low running costs i plan to stick to it as long as i can :)

Trying to think which 1.3 turbo would fit (starlet....glanza.....swift????) Or did you have to do some serious engine bay mod work to get one to fit... i know an evo III engine sits straight into a gs as mount points are the same but can't think which 1.3 fits???
Daz

Postby Daz » Mon May 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Peewee wrote:I bought my first back in 1998, kept 5 years, the longest I ever kept a car at that stage.
I always hankered for another ever since, what do they say "you never forget your first" :smt023

Just do it...go-on ya know ya wanna.... :D
Daz

Postby Daz » Mon May 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Temeeo wrote:Bought my first FTO about 3 years ago (the white GPX) it was meant to be keeper (Jay Leno style keeper as in I was going to keep it for good) then it got written off after an accident. Not sure about the GX, just ordered 5zigen exhaust for it plus sorting other stuff bit by bit each month so there are no immediate plans to sell it.

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear that.... gotta ask why a GX after owning a GPX..... i must admit after driving every version of an FTO including a GPvR thanks to a chap called Patt Torr(some of the oldies on here might remember him) it has to be a GPX or GPvR for me. But the GPvR is so rare (or the manual ones are) i'd stick with the GPX thats not to say the others are bad the 1.8 due to weight defference are still rapid.... but its the noise the GPX engine makes especially thru a custom exhaust!!!!
Daz

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Picked up my first GR (1995) in 2011. It was a swap for a van deal. Had it 2 weeks before replacing it with a better 94 GR. That was rear ended after a few months and I replaced it with a 97 GPX which I sold this month. So about 5 years then.

I have also driven all versions except the special edition model. The GPX is my favourite hands down, beating the gpvr because I prefer proper air con
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Daz wrote:
brccrx wrote:Have the white one the past 3 years, as ive converted it to 1.3 turbo and registered as 1.3 so very low running costs i plan to stick to it as long as i can :)

Trying to think which 1.3 turbo would fit (starlet....glanza.....swift????) Or did you have to do some serious engine bay mod work to get one to fit... i know an evo III engine sits straight into a gs as mount points are the same but can't think which 1.3 fits???

Its 4g13 12v from colt (96-2001) afaik, ive fit that in to the fto engine bay with no modifications and ive put Legnum VR4 (td03) turbo on it then tuned it myself on stock Colt ECU

Worth having a look if ya have a few minutes:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14454&start=125
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Daz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Its 4g13 12v from colt (96-2001) afaik, ive fit that in to the fto engine bay with no modifications and ive put Legnum VR4 (td03) turbo on it then tuned it myself on stock Colt ECU

Worth having a look if ya have a few minutes:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14454&start=125

Holy crap .... a few minutes are ya taking the pi$$ i'd need a week to read all that!!!

That is some amount of work put in it there...are you a mechanic or just naturally gifted...
Daz

Postby brccrx » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:58 am

Lol, just i just meant that page with engine pics and from when its fitted :smt003

Im cabinet maker/ built in kitchens and wardrobe fitter by trade but i just like doing mechanics, fixing our cars and keep trying new things etc, etc.....
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:32 pm

brccrx wrote:Lol, just i just meant that page with engine pics and from when its fitted :smt003

Im cabinet maker/ built in kitchens and wardrobe fitter by trade but i just like doing mechanics, fixing our cars and keep trying new things etc, etc.....

Cool makes it even more impressive the work ya done, i used to love stripping down cars and working on them (maintance engineer by trade) first car was my mates dad's MGB done it with my mate and his dad when i was 16. Got the bug and didn't stop for next 16 years till i move to England. Was easier there as mate had a pit in his garage. So this is my first foray back into messing with cars for 11 years. Unfortunatly forgotten most of my knowledge on FTO's but i'm hoping it will all come back to me
Daz

Return to General FTO Discussion