Fto heater/aircon console

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Fto heater/aircon console

Postby ftoshooter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 pm

Brought my second fto just over a week ago. Its a jap gpx manual import facelift model. All is great with the car but iv noticed the heater control unit is not digital? Why is this? Iv looked online and seems that these are rare to find non digital but visually dont look as nice. im considering replacing the console with the popular (most common) digital console. Whats do you guys recon? Or should i keep the non digital unit as are rare?
ftoshooter
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Fto heater/aircon console

Postby Bernard » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 am

Welcome to the club.

That's an odd one, all GPXs came with digital climate control.
To swap it out for a manual system would be very unusual, are you sure you bought a GPX? If it's definately a Mivec model it sounds more likely to be a GPvR.

Enter you chassis number Here to find out.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ftoshooter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:56 am

Hi sorry yes its a GPvR. Is this a feature all GPvRs have as a couple iv seen online also have the non digital system. Would you advise to swap for the digital system and would it be a straight gorward provedure to change? Cheers
ftoshooter
1st gear
1st gear

Postby ftoshooter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:04 am

Oh ye cheers for the welcome too mate
ftoshooter
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:33 am

:whs

It is possible to convert the manual aircon to digital climate control. You wont need to swap everything, but will need to swap the digital control unit with your manual one. You will need to swap the manual control lever attached to the aircon unit with a digital one. Its a bit of a pain, but can be done yourself if you have patience. You will obviously need the parts. Update your location on your profile and someone may be able to help. If you are based in Dublin, I would have the parts you need and so would Gerry. If in midlands, you might try bcrxx (seb). I couldn't live with the manual one either as i think its ugly.
Last edited by goz_83 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ftoshooter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Class! I thought it was possible and ye your right the manual is ugly. I live in Nottingham so yes im in the Midlands. Iv seen the units goin for around £20 on ebay but im looking for a better deal tbh. If you know of anyone please let me know cheers
ftoshooter
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:57 pm

ftoshooter wrote:Class! I thought it was possible and ye your right the manual is ugly. I live in Nottingham so yes im in the Midlands. Iv seen the units goin for around £20 on ebay but im looking for a better deal tbh. If you know of anyone please let me know cheers

Uk then. We wont be much help with parts, but £20 is good.

Most likely you have not seen GPvR's with digital aircon, but they are usually GPX's or GX's with the VR spoiler.

The GP, GX aero and GPvR all come with manual aircon systems to keep the car light. They also don't come with folding mirrors as far as I know, because the aim is lower the weight.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Yes you right about the light weight idea. But i also think all fto should have digital form of a/c control that at least looks better. Its not as much of a weight difference in them.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ftoshooter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:52 am

Yes your right the electric windows dont work either. Thats why i considered leaving the manual but the weight different cant be that different tbh and looks wise the digital is just alot nicer to look at and operate. Cheers for the help
ftoshooter
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:54 am

ftoshooter wrote:Yes your right the electric windows dont work either. Thats why i considered leaving the manual but the weight different cant be that different tbh and looks wise the digital is just alot nicer to look at and operate. Cheers for the help

You mean electric mirrors, right? They should work electronically, but only the mirror glass angling. On a GPvR the mirrors don't fold electronically. You can also change this if you like. I was considering a GPvR recently and planned to get digital aircon and folding mirrors installed.

Is there anything wrong with the car? Post up some pics.

You're welcome for the help
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ftoshooter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:38 am

Ye sorry the mirrors lol! no nothing wrong with the car. Ill take some pics and post them sp you can check her out.
ftoshooter
1st gear
1st gear

Postby ftoshooter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 pm

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... 1081290934

few pics of the motor as requested. unfortunately she has to go as :(
ftoshooter
1st gear
1st gear

Postby brccrx » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi, looks cool, is it Gpvr or Gpx? Whats rallyart model?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:34 am

brccrx wrote:? Whats rallyart model?

It's a GPvR plastered with cheap Rallyart muck from ebay. Thankfully, rare enough. Better still, cosmetically reversible.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:09 am

Lol, i wasnt sure haha.

Gpx spoiler tho?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:29 pm

brccrx wrote:Lol, i wasnt sure haha.

Gpx spoiler tho?

Manual aircon and LSD. So, GPvR I would think.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion