window and banging noise/tappets noise

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

window and banging noise/tappets noise

Postby egan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm

well lads hows things, i have a prob wit my fto gr passanger window, it wont go down but wen u press the button it makes a sound like it wants to go down, the window lock button is not pressed, and wen the engine is startd 1st it sounds like a banging noise,it stays there sumtimes for ages, is that the tappets, any ideas ,thanks
red 95 fto gr, jap import :)
egan
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: window and banging noise

Postby paul2508 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:49 pm

its the tappets alright. common problem , dunno bout the window tho .im sure someone here knows mate
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508
FTO-Ireland rules my world
FTO-Ireland rules my world

Postby Dilogoat86 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

The window regulators can become worn and what not. If you can, take off the door card and the inner trim, have a look in at the regulator (this thing that holds and moves the window) and see if all four points are where they should be. You'll know pretty easily if there's something amiss.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby egan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 pm

cheers lads i must give that a go 2mro, i went messin with the alarm and it kept draining the battery, only have that fixed 2day thank god, if i get a new window switch wud that work, do the windows have to be working 4 the nct lol
egan
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 pm

agree with Dilogoat86 on the window problem... i got noisy tappets as well but im not going to do anything as it will cost about €1,000 to get them done properly and you need to get them done properly or you'll do serious damage. Plus they woun't do any damage anyway

How long does the noise last for???????
mine goes away after 2 or 3 minutes.
Might be a good idea to use a good thick oil and might quieten down the noise a little
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby egan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:21 pm

i only start it up every now and den but i think they go away after a few mins, i must check it out and see
egan
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:28 pm

your fine so it'll go away after the oil heats up a bit i wouldn't worry about it unless you got a grand to spare. Its a common problem with ftos :oops:
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Re: window and banging noise/tappets noise

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Interesting thread here about cleaning your tappets, a lot cheaper than replacing, and it's a good way to see how they work.
colm_mcm

Postby escu_calin » Tue May 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi, just some reassurance :

I bought and installed myself new tappets on my GR non mivec;
If you are carefull and keep the job just at changing / unstack them, you'll be fine!

The requirements are a couple of rocker cover gaskets , a intake manifold gasket, two rectangular screwdrivers (one long and one short) and of course something to cover the intake while working or you'll ruin the engine dropping crap inside!

a nice tutorial is also on fto Australia at DIY section, the only thing not true is the fact that is hard to reach the rear bank! well is not , if u use the right technique!

the tappets can be cleaned(unstacked) and they sound just lovely after they recharge with oil! PM for the exact procedure ; i'l attach some pictures if required!

on my front bank i fixed the old tapps; and on the rear bank i put new ones , just in case!
As a conclusion after the operation is that even a newbie like me can pull it off easy! And the old tapps are of a better quality than the new ones... so i kept them.
(running for 2 months now and not a funny sound.. the engine just purrs)
escu_calin
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby RockShox » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:58 am

Hi,

Any step by step guide on how to move the crank and pry out the lashers? My engine starts to noise really badly.
And yes, will be replacing with Mobile1 FS after.

Thanks in advance!
RockShox
1st gear
1st gear

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 am

there is no point in just cleaning the tappets as, they will clog up again in no time and you will have to do the work all over again. its only a quick fix with all the work and more involved in replacing the tappets in the 1st place. if you want the noise to go away on a temp basis just get the oil changed and use a engine flush 1st then top up with thicker oil unless you already have thick enough oil in there
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to FTO Technical