My new (practical) baby

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

My new (practical) baby

Postby goz_83 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:41 pm

So yesterday was a big ball of fun. I dragged my buddy out of his house for mini road trip to hunt down a Mondeo. Specifically, I wanted a hatchback with z-tec spec. Seen some lovely photos of what I wanted advertised at €1600. Got that down to €1200 on the phone, because it was in Moate, just outside Athlone and I wasn't paying more than €1300, which was my budget. It was a silver hatchback z-tec with nct to Jan 15. I arrived and have never been so disappointed with a viewing. The photos were so misleading. The passenger side of the car had been photographed, which was in perfect nick. But the drivers side was not. It had a huge dent across the entire door and the front bumper had cracks and chunks with pieces missing. The inside was no better. The interior had dozens of what appeared to be nail holes in the dash and arm rest. The engine sounded like it had never been serviced and the gearbox was just terrible to use. Underneath was quite badly corroded too and there was foliage in every nook and cranny of the exterior from where the car was left parked. I didn't bother with a test drive and pointed out that her advert was terribly misleading and that the car would be going nowhere. I left and had a quick look on DD to see what else caught my eye. One did. A 2005 LX model in Louth. I had ignored it because of the steel wheels and hideous caps, but I was willing to look past that. Asking price was €1500, down from €1850. It has NCT to June 2015. The car seems to be in great shape and well looked after. His job moved to Offaly, so he needed a diesel and sure enough, he had a 2006 mondeo diesel outside his gate. The guy was determined to go no lower than €1500, but the radiator fan wasn't engaging and I wasn't going to go above budget, so I paid €1300 after some cheeky bargaining. I think I will have to get rid of the wheels though and put on some alloys. It's no FTO, but I am happy with it. The FTO will be getting stored in a couple of weeks, but I plan to get the bumper and wing scuffs sorted before I do.

97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: My new (practical) baby

Postby Bernard » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:28 am

I replaced the Mondeo I had with an Accord a couple of years younger but to be honest the Mondeo was a much better car.
Does yours have the heated windscreen? That's something I still miss.

Well wear & I'm sure you'll be able to pick up some alloys cheap enough for it.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:15 am

Yeah, although its a basic spec, it still has electric seats and heated windscreen. A real bonus. I haven't tried the sat nav in it though. Fords usually make it very difficult for sat navs to get a signal, but to be fair, i very rarely use it. I reckon im stuck with the steelies for now, because the tyres are nearly new (unless i sell them as they are 8) ). They do have bridgestones on there.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:14 pm

looks good for the money !
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Temeeo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 pm

- my thoughts exactly.

Wish I had your bargaining skills Goz! :ll
Well wear!
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Temeeo wrote:

- my thoughts exactly.

Wish I had your bargaining skills Goz! :ll
Well wear!

Actually it was quite funny. The guy put his foot down at €1350 when i said €1200. I said "ok, but i would need to take the log book with me, as i don't want to be paying back tax." He then agreed to €1300 and to forward date the sale to April 1st :mrgreen:

He threw me back another €20 when i gave him a free hypnosis session card :r

Potentially, i could make back a few hundred :lol:

The 00GX I bought last year resulted in 3 new clients when i threw in a free session to sweeten the buying price.

Now i'm buying deans 95gr for €150, but it's only to protect my gpx when i park it up. Don't want idiots opening doors into it. Knowing me, i will end up fixing it up out of a love for the fto. :?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:05 am

Nice motor, are you driving this as a daily now because I thought I saw your FTO in Raheny village tonight, it was dark so it could have been a black one.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:Nice motor, are you driving this as a daily now because I thought I saw your FTO in Raheny village tonight, it was dark so it could have been a black one.

I just collected my fto from gvd today. The damage is now repaired and it finally has wind deflectors :D

But i wasn't in Raheny, it's been parked in the garden since before 2pm. New windscreen going in on Friday and then she gies into a long slumber.

Have been using the mondeo the past week. Not driving much because its not taxed. Still waiting on the change over! It's in super condition, i know i got a bargain, even if it is a "normal car".
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars