Help, how to remove the lighter?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Help, how to remove the lighter?

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun May 27, 2012 3:03 pm

How do you remove the lighter from the Central console? All the guides just say remove the Central but none talk about the lighter. I am worried now you are all going to say I need to buy a new connector for the lighter. Here are some pictures to show you what I talking about.

I want to fit it into this

Also, there is a mystery blue light hidden under the Console but attached to the wiring of the lighter, any ideas?
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Help, how to remove the lighter?

Postby goz_83 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Chris. disconnect the wires from the barrel. In the second photo, just to the right of the red line, at the end of the barrel, you can see a bronze piece with grips for your fingers. Looks kinda like a plumbing connection. This locks the external part of the barrel to the inner lip of the console. Unscrew it, separating the internal barrel from the external silver piece you see and bobs your uncle.

Don't remove the blue light. You might want it at some stage and that is the wiring you might use to install internal lights, including glow dials.

Are you changing it, or putting something else in? I have removed the ciggy lighter from mine and there is just a non-functional blue button there now. I hate smokes, so i never want associations with them in my car. The mystery blue light slips into the ashtray to light it up.
Last edited by goz_83 on Sun May 27, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun May 27, 2012 3:43 pm

yeah found it, its a little nut, thanks goz
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:46 pm

no prob. i edited post above. the blue light is for ashtray
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun May 27, 2012 4:43 pm

goz_83 wrote:
Are you changing it, or putting something else in? I have removed the ciggy lighter from mine and there is just a non-functional blue button there now. I hate smokes, so i never want associations with them in my car. The mystery blue light slips into the ashtray to light it up.

I hate smokes too, no I wont change it, have a new central console as my one was cracked to pieces, I thought the lighter socket was a click in device so didnt think of checking for a nut but I may change the lighter to a Mitsubishi button or something in the future. I have the top part installed now, easy job except that damn Pipe, it kept falling off :evil: but got it in the end.
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:10 pm

hope you didn't have trouble finding one. I have a spare one here I bought from Seb.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical