Mazda RX8 - rebuilds needed??

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Mazda RX8 - rebuilds needed??

Postby adrian » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:58 am

Hey all,

As I browse the web wondering what my next car will be come Janurary the Mazda RX8 is making it's way onto my list. There are a few nice low mileage ones from the UK for about 6,500 to 7,000 sterling with VRT on a 2003 one around the 6,000 euro mark.... I would expect the prices to fall again come Jan for these.

Anyway, a concern I have is the whole rebuild issues for the rotary engines. I think the RX8 are meant to be good for 200,000 miles if well cared for but has anyone any knowledge of the rebuild requirements for these motors?

Any advice and experience would be great,

Thanks,

Adrian
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby optical illusion » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 am

I'm not saying anything.

For fear of being attacked by CJ :lol:

AFAIK they drink petrol, something to consider too.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ikeane » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:16 pm

to add to the confusion.....are there many places that do the rebuilds or can it be done by a dealer(ha)?
ikeane
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm not aware of the RX8 needing to have rebuilds - at least not this (relatively) early in its life cycle. I would say it would be a lot better in this regard than the RX7 (turbo rotary) although the RX7 is an out & out high performance car.

I do know they really like the juice - both petrol and oil. I also considered one when I was shopping for the Zed - would probably be a more natural successor to the FTO than the Zed. They really seem to have come down in value recently (as has the Zed) due to the recession.

If back seats aren't a must also consider test driving the 350Z and the Honda S2000 to compare.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Cheers MyFeckinFTO,

I had an S2000 for 2 years.... I would certainly buy another if I didn't need back seats! Yea, I am hearing 18MPG on the fuel which is a bit crazy... still, if I bagged one for about 12k euros I could live with it! In no rush to buy, but I reckon I will get someone emigrating trying to offload a motor cheap. :D
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:08 pm

adrian wrote:......

I had an S2000 for 2 years.... ...

Stupid me!(Monday) - Of course you did Adrian.

Yip - there are some very cheap cars waiting to be snapped up out there right now. Carzone/cbg et al makes for very interesting reading these days.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby d_dan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:51 pm

only rx7's are what ya need to worry about rebuilding because theres so muich going on and wear with the 2 turbos.

as far as i know mazda now offer up to 80,000miles unlimited warantee if not more
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:51 pm

optical illusion wrote:I'm not saying anything.

For fear of being attacked by CJ :lol:

You knew I was right though!

Adrian, best bet is ask over at the RX-8 forum on www.irishrotary.com - the rotor heads have all the answers. No significant issue with Renesis motors needing rebuilds. High oil consumption is the main bug bear of the RX-8....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Other Cars