Help with FTO battery

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Help with FTO battery

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 pm

no prob
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Help with FTO battery

Postby akkakkman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:
Kace wrote:
Chris_Heilong wrote:sure if you disconnect the positive you would get electrocuted wouldn't you?

??? If you disconnect the positive terminal then there is no power feeding your car to 'electrocute' you.

Then why is it red :shock:
Anyway, I always thought that the positive was live which it the reason you always disconnect the negative first and positive first when reconnecting.

I have followed your advice Kace and disconnected both, its only a 35 ah battery maybe I should look at an upgrade :D

Sorry I know this post is a little old but thought I'd contribute anyway...

The 'disconnect earth lead first reconnect last' motto is so that your spanner does not come into contact with the car body while the earth lead is still connected thus creating sparks which may ignite hydrogen gas emitted by the battery (if it is faulty) and cause an explosion. I doubt you will get a shock, even from this and definitely not by touching any of the two poles on ther own.

Also that charger you got looks like a bog standard charger and not a trickle charger which is designed to charge and a rate equal to a bettery's discharge rate just to keep it topped up and not overcharge it. This would be used if you disconnect the battery for an EXTENDED period of time.
akkakkman
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Previous

Return to FTO Technical