Classic Insurance Is Now Possible for 15 YO FTO

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Classic Insurance Is Now Possible for 15 YO FTO

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 pm

So, it's a question i've been trying to find an answer to and hopefully I will have my answer today. When will the fto qualify for vintage/classic insurance? There are a few people waiting for 2014 to roll on, in the hope that their 94 fto will qualify for classic insurance. But I have heard that a 15 year old car can qualify if it is a second vehicle. I don't want to get all excited, but I rang a certain insurance company to ask them if this was true. I said I have a 15 year old fto and was thinking about buying a different car as my daily driver and was hoping to have the fto insured with them as a classic. She said "i think it has to be 20 years for classic, but i'll check." A minute later she comes back and says it will qualify if it's 15 years old and she tried to put me through to their vintage team. They were all busy, so i'm now waiting on a call back.

Anyone hear any news of this before, or is it news to you too?
Last edited by goz_83 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Classic Insurance?

Postby Kace » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 pm

That's definitely news - and good news at that for those of us who are running more than one car. Let us know how you get on and whether this could lead to a much reduced premium.

Would also be keen to understand who the insurer is.

K
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Classic Insurance?

Postby goz_83 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 am

OK, so I got a call this morning from the guy at Campions Insurance. A 15 year old FTO qualifies, which is great news. A condition of course is that the insured must have a main driver and the classic policy is for the second car. There is a mileage limit of 5k, which I think is a bit poor, but that's life. Another condition is that you're a member of a vintage club recognised by IVETA, or be a member of IVETA themselves (€25). They prefer if you're over 35 (i'm 29), but will take anyone between 25-70 (well not anyone, but you know what I mean). They load the policy if you're under 35. Quote I rec'd was €395 inclusive of IVETA membership. It's definitely not the worst and if the FTO is a second car and you can keep your miles low, it's a big saving.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Classic Insurance Is Now Possible for 15 YO FTO

Postby Chris_Heilong » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:01 pm

So I have 2 cars and my FTO will be 15 years old next year :P
the milage being only 5k a year is harsh and put me off taking the car around Ireland or Europe which would be a shame. All in all fantastic news, well done Gary.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby optical illusion » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:28 pm

That's great news, my car is 15 years old, always knew about the 5K though, so that's why I haven't availed of it sooner.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:26 pm

optical illusion wrote:That's great news, my car is 15 years old, always knew about the 5K though, so that's why I haven't availed of it sooner.

5k is roughly 80 hours of driving
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 pm

It's definitely something I will be considering. Fact is I don't "need" another car, but it would make things much more convenient at times. It's not easy putting a baby seat into an fto and I don't want the OH making a regular habit of bringing the fto into work, because it's one of those car parks where there is not enough room for everyone to park and spots are very, very tight. If the zafira gets a few car park dings, I don't really mind, but if the fto got dinged, i'd be pretty peed off. I won't spend much if I am getting a second car. Maybe 2-3k and I won't be going high in litres, because tax will be too much. 2.2 litre would be a real push, but I may go as low as a 1.6 for a focus, or something. I'd consider a freelander if I wanted something roomy,, but tbh,,,,it's all up in the air.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:14 am

Ok this might be a stupid question but humor me, how do they monitor the 5 klm a year, is it by nct cert ? And if its insured as a classic can you then tax it as one ?
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby goz_83 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:28 am

gt94 wrote:Ok this might be a stupid question but humor me, how do they monitor the 5 klm a year, is it by nct cert ? And if its insured as a classic can you then tax it as one ?

Well i'm afraid another 15 years is needed for classic tax :) The car must be 30 years or older for that. The NCT would be one way to monitor the mileage, I suppose, but I honestly don't know. It could be just something to put you off excessive driving, but I really am just guessing. Anyone else?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:01 pm

AFAIK, they take your word for it. You can ask for over 5K, you're also not meant to be driving to and from work. But you can get occasional use for that covered too.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Motor Insurance