Changing the V6 rocker cover gasket

FTO tips and tricks

Moderator: Moderators

Changing the V6 rocker cover gasket

Postby CJ » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:45 pm

Has anyone changed a rocket cover gasket on a GPX? If so, is there anything I should be looking out for?

Ciaran
Last edited by CJ on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philip » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:20 pm

CJ
I was doing mine last week had all the bolts loose about to talk off the cover when I decided to check the gasket to make sure Funky Products sent the correct one as it turned out they sent the wrong gasket I think it was a GR gasket, just a word of warning check the gasket before ya start. After all the bolts were back tight no more leak but I'm still going to change it anyway when I get the correct gasket back. Let us know how ya get on
Philip.
philip
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby CJ » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:20 pm

After checking the workshop manual, it mentioned that you should use gasket sealent when replacing the rocker cover, I picked up a tube for a fiver.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:11 pm

CJ wrote:After checking the workshop manual, it mentioned that you should use gasket sealent when replacing the rocker cover, I picked up a tube for a fiver.

Ciaran

Did you get this done? How easy? Are you using a torque wrench to tighten the rocker cover? What about the gasket sealer - did you just smear it on the underside of the rocker cover?

Am now seriously thinking of cleaning the tappets and at the same time painting the rocker cover and inlet manifold. Probably should get the cambelt done too - might check the car in to get front arb bushes, castor bushes and steering rack gaiters done and get Paul's opinion on the cambelt.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:04 pm

OK, I changed the front RC gasket the other day, its not that hard. The following procedure relates to the MIVEC engine, the same principal can be applied to all the V6s:

1. Remove the plastic engine cover cover, use a 10mm spanner or socket (6x screws)

2. Unplug the 3 HT leads and remove the 6 screws holding them in place. You will need to disconnect the 3 grey plugs and move the leads up over the inlet manifiold to give yourself some room.

3. Remove all 8 screws from the rocker cover and lift it up, the gasket should be attached.

4. Remove the old gasket and clean both the surfaces where the gasket makes contact. Apply some semi-hardening gasket sealent into the slotted section on the rocker cover and fiit the new gasket. Apply some sealent onto the other side of the gasket and then refit to the block

5. Put everything back together in reverse and make sure to clean excess oil and sealent off the rocker cover. Do not over tighten any of the screws when refitting, a torque wrench would be useful in this regard.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:44 pm

CJ wrote:
5. Put everything back together in reverse and make sure to clean excess oil and sealent off the rocker cover. Do not over tighten any of the screws when refitting, a torque wrench would be useful in this regard.

Ciaran

Any idea on the torque required for the rocker cover bolts?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:01 pm

shane wrote:Any idea on the torque required for the rocker cover bolts?

3.4Nm
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:10 pm

Guys - why does this need to be changed ? Is there some telltale adverse symptom ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:48 am

Kace wrote:Guys - why does this need to be changed?

It needs to be changed only when theres a leak from the rocker cover ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:58 pm

Kace wrote:Guys - why does this need to be changed ? Is there some telltale adverse symptom ?

If you 've got a GR and are thinking of cleaning the tappets :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Mines leaking!!! :( Front and back. not badly but still, gonna change it.
Camskill wanted 57sterling (almost 100euro!!!) for the gaskets and shipping. Too much. Gonna try and source them elsewhere.
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:12 pm

Did this job today.... Here's a small step by step guide that might help some of you...

Step 1. Remove air pipe (loosen the 2 jubilee clips).
Step 2. Remove 5 bolts from the Throttle body. Keep Gasket.

Step 3. Unscrew and remove the 2 bolts from the 3 coilpacks on the front bank. Also remove the bolts that hold the sensors onto the intake manifold.

Step 4. Remove the bolts that hold the intake manifold in place. There are 4 on the back and 5 on the front.

Step 5. Undo all the bolts from the front bank rocker cover. Remove old gasket and clean any residue off the rocker cover and the head.
I used DIRKO sealant on the gasket also as recommended.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention BLOCK THE INTAKES as soon as you remove the intake manifold. If anything dropped in there then you;d have a few serious problems. I stufffed them with paper tissues.

Finished Job

mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:32 am

mcgon1979 wrote:Did this job today.... Here's a small step by step guide that might help some of you...

Step 1.

Nicely done especially with all the photo steps in there aswell :smt023

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:03 am

cheers Daz. Its not a hard job, but it did take me a while. a good bit of stripping down involved. :x :D
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to FTO Knowledgebase