top mounts

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

top mounts

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 am

just got my new kyb shocks put in at the weekend and now I get a crunching noise when hitting a pothole too hard or speed bumps. just wondering if there is a wrong way to put the top mounts in or is it maybe the spring needs reset again. any help please folks want to get the alinement sorted on friday and dont wanna have to get it dane again after that lol
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: top mounts

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:43 pm

If the top of the shock isn't sitting into the top mount properly (when on the car) it will spin around when you turn the top nut, if it's secured, it wont turn at all as its sitting in its slot and the thread on the shock top should be higher than the top of the nut. (if that makes sense)
Putting a large spring washer under the nut to pull the threaded part of shock into place works if the nuts are threadlock types and wont tighten without spinning the shock, obviously remove the washer afterwards. much quicker than taking everything off again.
colm_mcm

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 am

cheers. got it sorted now, it was the dustshield and 2 diff heatshields all giong at the same time. so car is now handeling liike a dream. going to put the rear strut brace back on 2night then get alinement sorted on friday and fingers crosses that all my suspension problems sorted. when in doubt replace everything lol
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:03 pm

still got this noise I cant get rid off. doing my head in now. going up to my m8s tomorow so wverything being pulled out again and redone to find the problem
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:still got this noise I cant get rid off. doing my head in now. going up to my m8s tomorow so wverything being pulled out again and redone to find the problem

Did you put back the springs the right way up?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:55 am

the spring is the wrong way up on the old shocks so they where put in that way again. they apxi lowering springs, i got them ages ago of a guy and he said they needed to be put in that way for some reason and they where fine like that. the camber adj bolts where a lil loose but they where tightened up, guessin because of them being against a new part. i am confused now. the noise is still there, everything is new and how it was before i got the new shocks put in
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to FTO Technical