smoky exhaust after high revs

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

smoky exhaust after high revs

Postby dec1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi guys and gals, being a new fto owner i wanted to test everything on the car to make sure everything works as it should. I was trying to hear the MIVEC roar to see what the fuss was about, from cold the engine would not go beyong about 6200 rpm (i'm guessing this is normal), then when warm it would go all the way up to 8500. I didn't notice any distinctive sound difference above 5500rpm and when i got home, there was some white "smoke/steam" coming from the exhaust. Is this anything to worry about? I must add that due to living in a residential area, i could only get the revs above 5500 in first gear. I'm really hoping there's nothing seriously wrong as i've just paid out £650 for a service, cambelt and spark plugs. Any help much appreciated! Dec.
dec1984
1st gear
1st gear

Re: smoky exhaust after high revs

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 pm

It's definitely a MIVEC model is it? (would have MIVEC written on top of the engine)

It's notmal for the MIVEC not to engage and the rev limit to be lower when the oil temp is lower.
You should notice a distinct increase in volume around the 5500rpm mark.
colm_mcm

Postby dec1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes it's definitely a mivec engine. Like i say i couldn't really notice much of a difference after 5500rpm. Is there any way i can test to see if it's working properly? Should i be worried about smoky/steamy stuff from the exhaust?
dec1984
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Well I wouldn't be trying to engage the mivec in a residential area, or in 1st gear. You won't notice it in such a low gear. Get to 3rd on a motorway and then you will notice the sound change to a higher pitch at 5500 and a boost in power.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dec1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Ah, thanks Goz. I'll try it. It does seem like the fto is a complicated bit of kit and I'm just praying a haven't bought a lemon! I paid a bit more for one with 45000 on the clock In a bid to avoid pitfalls of a 17 yr old car. I don't want to be a pain but can you explain why I wouldn't notice the sound change from mivec in 1st? I get why I might not feel much of a surge in 1st but I thought I would hear the famous roar!
dec1984
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:21 pm

dec1984 wrote:Ah, thanks Goz. I'll try it. It does seem like the fto is a complicated bit of kit and I'm just praying a haven't bought a lemon! I paid a bit more for one with 45000 on the clock In a bid to avoid pitfalls of a 17 yr old car. I don't want to be a pain but can you explain why I wouldn't notice the sound change from mivec in 1st? I get why I might not feel much of a surge in 1st but I thought I would hear the famous roar!

Because the pitch is higher in first anyway and you would also over rev, which would be much more noticeable. You'll know what I mean when it happens. There is no "roar", but it is a sweet sound, especially with a nice induction kit bellowing to your ears.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dec1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Ah ok, I have no induction kit, car is standard at the mo. IS it correct to say that if the car revs right up to 8000 then mivec will be working? I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, it's putting my mind at ease. Do you have any idea about the white stuff from the back end?is that normal after ragging it in 1st? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a real newbie to the glorious fto.
dec1984
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:01 am

dec1984 wrote:Ah ok, I have no induction kit, car is standard at the mo. IS it correct to say that if the car revs right up to 8000 then mivec will be working? I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, it's putting my mind at ease. Do you have any idea about the white stuff from the back end?is that normal after ragging it in 1st? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a real newbie to the glorious fto.

If you high rev if 1st gear, what tends to happen is the revs drop off and pick up quickly and the car basically coughs and loses power (don't know the mechanical lingo). If there is no white smoke after a regular drive, then I would say it's because you were burnin the crap out of the car. The only time I noticed white, steamy smoke coming from my exhaust is when I changed it over from a GR to another GR and then from the GR to my GPX. I did some high revving then and there was some white smoke. Too much high revving has been known to snap the pulleys and can cut through some wires as a result. Treat the glorious fto well and she will give you plenty of good times.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical