HELP!!!!!!!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

HELP!!!!!!!

Postby karlwebb02 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi all

Big problem, my baby failed a mot last week due to high emissions, I asked the guy at the garage and he told me he didn’t know what to do as he was unsure if it was the lambda sensor or the cat. I rang up the Mitsubishi dealer and ask for his advice and he told me it could be the stepper motor. Can someone help as I don’t know what to do and don’t have the money to waste buying various parts
karlwebb02
1st gear
1st gear

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:52 pm

where are you based. High emissions could be due to any number of things. Is there anything unusual about the car, is it running smoothly, returning decent fuel economy, idling smoothly?

What was the recorded emissions, was it far out?
colm_mcm

hi

Postby karlwebb02 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:00 pm

It has cut out a few times and engine sounds rough. I think the mot guy told me it was something like 5 on the emissions
karlwebb02
1st gear
1st gear

Postby ikeane » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:18 pm

Check out this for info on the stepper motor.

Those emissions seem pretty high. I think 1.3 is a fail in the nct here :smt017
ikeane
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Wildhound » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:18 pm

1.03 is the lambda limit for the NCT, but it's not possible to get a 5 on that. ;)

Check that you actually have a cat and that a previous owner didn't replace it with a pipe. Check for holes in the exhaust. Drive the frolicks out of the car before taking it for a retest.

I've also heard something about soaking your lambda sensor in lemon juice over night but you'd have to read up on that...
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Good chance its the cat, if there was any work done to your exhaust by the previous owner then its very possible the cat was removed too. Before I went for my nct I took it to a garage to ive it a pretest and I was told my emissions were 7! Didnt think that was possible, he told me it could be the cat but when I got tyres put on her you could see the cat was there. So I took a chance with the emissions, said if it goes down at least I'll know, and I drove her hard with high revs to book the crap out of the engine, and low and behold she flew through it. Always good to drive them hard before going in.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Marie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:25 pm

Same problem as me, mine failed on admissions too!
Advance pit stop quoted in in the thousand mark to repair, went to a back street machanic turned out there was 2 holes in my exhaust, got them welded & put in a V-power petrol to clean out the whole engine system! Heated the engine with a long drive before the retest & it flew through!

It's a cheap & cheerful repair, will eventually have to get a new exhaust in the next 2 year's but hey it passed! & that's the main thing!
When you're good, you're good....... but when you're great you're ME
Marie
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:59 am

I know of several people who "bought" an NCT for 250euro... Might do that myself. they will test it but just ignore the emissions. Joke eh. I always knew those NCT guys were on the take though. I can say no more about it though....
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Gwyn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:15 pm

NCT results should indicate if it's the CAT or the Lambda.

Most FTO's have problems with emmissions for NCT. Cheapest fix is to bring it to a mechanic who'll test both (a simple pre NCT should do it) and then get him to source and fit a universal CAT, and retest it.

Should not cost more than 150 Euro.

My emmissions were way too high for the NCT first time - but did the above and then passed without issue.

Tell whoever is testing it to rev it high too - sometimes they won't, and the FTO needs to be
Gwyn
Octane king
Octane king

Postby pergau » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:39 pm

Mine failed on emissions too - I just cleaned out the air filter and gave it a good run before the retest. Passed with flying colours.

My second go was going to be with Diptain or something like that.
pergau

Postby Bernard » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:01 pm

gfalls wrote:I use REDEX. Never yet had an emission problem, or any engine probs for that matter. :D

Quick, touch wood.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical