Gobshite hit me

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Gobshite hit me

Postby bigdane1390 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Got up this morning and found that someone had hit my car on the drivers side. i now have 2 10 centimeter scratches on the door and both are dented in a small bit.

I was thinking of fixing it myself, sanding it down, filling it priming it and painting it. i have a suitable place to do it. but i am a complete amateur. like will the new paint look completely different seeing as the car is 15 yrs old.

if i had the money id get a professional to do it, but im in college so fuk all money. Or am i being a retard in thinking i could do it myself
bigdane1390
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Gobshite hit me

Postby StewyD32 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:21 pm

If you hven't done it before I wouldn't even try it and get someone professional to so it.
And yes the pair will be slightly different due to the original paint being faded.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Dragonheart » Thu May 05, 2011 1:49 pm

As Stewy said, the paint will be a slightly different colour, even if you get a perfect colour match to the original paint used on the car. Even if a body shop does it there is a chance that the colour will be slightly off. The only way to get it spot on is by polishing the laquer of the existing paint down a few microns to get rid of the faded surface and back to the original colour.
Its possible to paint it yourself though, just make sure you take off the door and remove any bits off it to avoid overspray. Do it in a ventilated area indoors, even the very slightest breeze will cause the mist of the spray to land on the car if you do it near it. Read up on how to spray first if you haven't already, don't go mad on the spray covering bits you think you've missed, it'll cause the spray to run if you put too much on. And will look like a botch job. Get a quote from a body shop first though, it might not be as bad as you think. Even if it is a lot to do the full job, if you did the filling yourself it might make it a bit cheaper.
Last edited by Dragonheart on Thu May 05, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu May 05, 2011 1:50 pm

FIlling and sanding is not difficult, take a look on Youtube for DIY dent repair videos. Matching paint is another story and is best left to the pros.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bigdane1390 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:33 pm

ya i think ill fill and sand it myself, read up and watched a few vids on it there, id say that would be something i could do allright. would ye know how much they would charge to paint something like this, its a very small job (which is why i felt i could to it myself), but i have a feeling that they would say they would have to paint the whole door. :?
bigdane1390
1st gear
1st gear

Postby StewyD32 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 pm

You'll have to do the whole panel if you want it done right
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Dragonheart » Thu May 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Whole door for sure, you couldn't just do a bit, it would stick out like a sore thumb. Some places even do a bit along the rear wing and front wing to aid tying it in a bit to the existing panels to make it less obvious.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Just throw some massive stickers on there.. :-)

Seriously - it really boils my blood how some peeps have no respect..
I'd left the vectra parked up for all of 30mins and some joker scratched my newly sprayed front bumper..

you could probably get away with doing the prep yourself, but I'd leave the paint to a pro..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Sebastian » Fri May 06, 2011 5:38 pm

maybe give this guy a ring?

http://www.autosmartsystems.ie/
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby bigdane1390 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:Just throw some massive stickers on there.. :-)

Seriously - it really boils my blood how some peeps have no respect..
I'd left the vectra parked up for all of 30mins and some joker scratched my newly sprayed front bumper..

you could probably get away with doing the prep yourself, but I'd leave the paint to a pro..

this is the 3rd time somebody has hit me. where i park isnt the best place in the world, but if i park anywhere else i get clamped. i know the feelin i parked up and ran inside to grab some lunch 20 mins later a nice red scratch on it. the only reason i bothered about it this time is that they dented it and its nice and noticable
bigdane1390
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical