Facelift or older model?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Facelift or older model?

Postby adrian » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:01 pm

Hi all. I am on the lookout for a 2L FTO. I know there are not many facelift models in IRL but which one do you prefer?? I thought the facelift model but having looked at both (mainly in photos) I honestly think I prefer the pre-facelift one? Whats the general opinion on this??
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:12 pm

i'd prefer the pre-facelift, don't much like the lip on the bottom of the face-lift version.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:21 pm

As a personal preference, I much prefer the facelift model, I suppose its partly because of their rarity and partly because I think it gives the front of the car a much more agressive profile. Seeing both models side by side illustrates what I mean.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:44 pm

CJ wrote:As a personal preference, I much prefer the facelift model, I suppose its partly because of their rarity and partly because I think it gives the front of the car a much more agressive profile. Seeing both models side by side illustrates what I mean.

Ciaran

I agree but only if the facelift model has been lowered and has 17's.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Facelift or older model?

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:56 am

adrian wrote:Hi all. I am on the lookout for a 2L FTO. I know there are not many facelift models in IRL but which one do you prefer?? I thought the facelift model but having looked at both (mainly in photos) I honestly think I prefer the pre-facelift one? Whats the general opinion on this??

It depends on the look you want, on the pre-facelift the FTO's lines look smoother since the bumper sweeps back, but on the facelift it looks like it has a more aggressive stance with it's pointy nose, like some cocky young lad sticking out his chin daring ya to hit it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Re: Facelift or older model?

Postby soc » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:19 pm

Daz wrote:
adrian wrote:Hi all. I am on the lookout for a 2L FTO. I know there are not many facelift models in IRL but which one do you prefer?? I thought the facelift model but having looked at both (mainly in photos) I honestly think I prefer the pre-facelift one? Whats the general opinion on this??

It depends on the look you want, on the pre-facelift the FTO's lines look smoother since the bumper sweeps back, but on the facelift it looks like it has a more aggressive stance with it's pointy nose, like some cocky young lad sticking out his chin daring ya to hit it.

Still though, it's amazing how well the FTO has aged - who'd have though an 8 year old car could still get more looks than some brand new, mega money coupes today! When you think of other coupes of similar price and similar age (celica, bmw, mx3, mx6 etc) they just are not in the same league lookswise..... or overall performance for that matter.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby pergau » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:20 pm

I prefer the pre-Facelift look, mainly because I don't like the big spoilers that they seem to come with.

If I had a criticism of the FTO at all it would be that I don't think that the rear of the car is as good looking as the front. I know that it is mid 90's design and the aggressive linear styling look was coming in but I prefer to Jaguar-like look of the front.
I recently saw a FTO without a spoiler and I thought it looked nicer. I'm playing with the idea of taking the spoiler off of mine. (does anyone know if there will be a safety/performance problem with this?)
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby soc » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:33 pm

pergau wrote:(does anyone know if there will be a safety/performance problem with this?)

the GR didn't come with a spoiler as standard - it was a factory option (although most seemed to take the option) so I wouldnt thing there is any safety/performance issues. I had a GS with no spoiler and it looked ok but I prefer with a spoiler..... :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion