Main site update ?

If you've any comments on what might make fto-ireland.com a better site, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Main site update ?

Postby Sebastian » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:10 am

just thinking as i'm giving ltely cards with the site .. the main site i think really needs a refreshing . meets section is dated 2005 and a few contact details for the services page are out-dated ..

i mean for a person who types in www.fto-ireland.com for the first time ( and it's not mad into internet and discussion forums) it looks like the site ''died'' a few years ago.

can something be done ?

don't get me wrog i'm not criticizing anything .

any thoughts ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Re: Main site update ?

Postby CJ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Sebastian wrote:can something be done ?

Absolutely, with time and the right skills. I've been looking for web devs for a few years now to give a dig out:

http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... php?t=5634

Why don't more web developers buy FTOs!

CJ
Last edited by CJ on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:14 pm

What kind of money are we talking to get the main page designed?

I'd be happy to contribute a few quid, as I'm sure most of the regulars would be.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:28 pm

I can suss out the design cost but theres the content aspect to consider also (more important IMO). You can get opensource Content Management Systems (CMS) that integrate with PHPBB, then its a case of working out what data to present and how to present it.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby scottledeuce » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Cj, I'd be happy to give my two cents and lend a hand where I can.
I got my degree in Computing inWeb Development so I should know my stuff,

The fact is I got a job outside the Web Development area so I'm not a Pro but I do a lot of freelance work for people now and again.

What you are daying about a CMS has it's pros and cons, From your side it makes updates and management a lot easier but they can be hard to customise and any work I have done with them has always left a site that looks more like it's been built around the CMS.

I was reading user sugggestions on the other thread about Lo-hi bandwidth version's and flash, all good concepts but if you think about the average user who comes to the site, chances are they are looking for info and I think clarity is key here so I would be thinking simple text based navigation with a css based design.

I don't know what services your hosting company provides but "my" ideal version of the website would be one where the forum is more integrated into the main site and that registered users might have their own "space"

I know currently users have a gallery and profile but these are not really advertised and dare I say visited. I would like to maybe offer users a bit more, think of your youtube "channel" page where you can showcase your pictures, put up your car spec's etc....basic enough though.

I think the main site serves it's purpose well, I went there looking for info before I ever visited the forum and it did exactly what I wanted but a facelift would be good but at the same time keep it basic.
Perhaps showcase a random users car each time the page is loaded so there is no ego's hurt,

Anyway if you have ideas let me know and I'll help in any way I can
White GpvR
scottledeuce
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:37 pm

scottledeuce wrote:
I was reading user sugggestions on the other thread about Lo-hi bandwidth version's and flash, all good concepts but if you think about the average user who comes to the site, chances are they are looking for info and I think clarity is key here so I would be thinking simple text based navigation with a css based design.

I don't know what services your hosting company provides but "my" ideal version of the website would be one where the forum is more integrated into the main site and that registered users might have their own "space"

I know currently users have a gallery and profile but these are not really advertised and dare I say visited. I would like to maybe offer users a bit more, think of your youtube "channel" page where you can showcase your pictures, put up your car spec's etc....basic enough though.

Yes, yes and yes again.

Scott, you have pm :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Main site update ?

Postby gary d » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:58 am

Sebastian wrote:just thinking as i'm giving ltely cards with the site .. the main site i think really needs a refreshing . meets section is dated 2005 and a few contact details for the services page are out-dated ..

i mean for a person who types in www.fto-ireland.com for the first time ( and it's not mad into internet and discussion forums) it looks like the site ''died'' a few years ago.

can something be done ?

don't get me wrog i'm not criticizing anything .

any thoughts ?
Just read the above and agree whole heartedly, I looked up the site a number of months ago and persumed it was lying dormant. was tempted to part with £18 to join ftooc as you can't post on their forum without doing so. Though its a good site, a little steep just for the privilige of communicating with its members most of whom I'm unlikely to ever meet living in belfast an all, leeds for e.g. is a little far to go for mini meet lol :roll:
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby CJ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:24 am

Note that discussions are underway in terms of a new direction for the site. Expect a facelift, a forum upgrade, tighter site/forum integration and a simplified version of the 'main site' as it stands now.

I'll let you guys know when we're closer to implementation.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Excellent, looking forward to it...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Suggestions, announcements and updates