Jumpy tip box

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Jumpy tip box

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:37 pm

When changing up from 2nd to 3rd while under 3k rpm, the box (4sp Tip) jumps slightly, the same is true when dropping from 3rd to 1st when coming
to a stop. If I'm changing up over 3k, I don't notice this. I think this i a common trait of the 4sp Tip box, but I just wanted see if anyone else notices this.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jumpy tip box

Postby Daz » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:32 am

CJ wrote:When changing up from 2nd to 3rd while under 3k rpm, the box (4sp Tip) jumps slightly, the same is true when dropping from 3rd to 1st when coming
to a stop. If I'm changing up over 3k, I don't notice this. I think this i a common trait of the 4sp Tip box, but I just wanted see if anyone else notices this.

Ciaran

I hate to say this cj but i had that problem in my old box a month or two before it packed up, but doing a fluid and filter change got rid of it, before the box packed it in unexpectely.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:04 am

I hear you brother, but I'm not listening ;)
I'm being conservative about this one as the 'box has always had this trait (well as as long as I have the car anyway) and a fluid change was done
a few thou km's ago, nothing changed at that point. I shall wait and see...

Anyone else out there with a Tip want to comment?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:17 pm

CJ wrote:When changing up from 2nd to 3rd while under 3k rpm, the box (4sp Tip) jumps slightly, the same is true when dropping from 3rd to 1st when coming

Ciaran

Hey Ciaran,

Is it always like this? Mine can be a bit harsh when cold (mainly going from N to D) but it's pretty smooth when warm. The only time it's ever jumpy or harsh when warm is when changing up while accelerating hard (upto 7K rpm) but I put this down to the high levels of torque.

It could be just a 'trait' of your box :) esecially if it's always done it. Although I'd think it can't be good for the box in general if it does it all the time. Mine can sometimes be a pig when changing from N to D when in very heavy traffic (I think box gets too hot) so those times I leave it in D to avoid causing any stress on the box by changing unnecessarily.

Cheers
Shane
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:46 pm

I should have mentioned that this only happens in Tip mode, I rarely drive in auto. I don't do a lot of long journeys so I'll keep an eye out the next time I've been on a good spin to see if the issue occurs.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:15 pm

CJ wrote:I should have mentioned that this only happens in Tip mode,
Ciaran

mmm, in that case I'd say don't change down to 1st when stopping. In auto the box only changes down to first when the car is practically stationary - there must be a reason for this. Also a mate of a mate (blah) is a porsche mechanic and he told me that they usually tell porsche drivers with tip boxes not to change down to 1st when driving unless you're going really slow ( <10mph) cause it puts too much strain on the box.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:52 pm

I never change down to first when driving, I let the box do its thing from 3rd or 2nd to 1st. Theres a safety mechanism built into the Tip box that won't allow you change down a gear if the revs/speed are too high, don't remember @ what values though.

Was drivin' home from work today and didn't notice the problem, in saying that I wasn't sparing the horses beforehand ;)
Reckon its symtomatic of the ATF not reaching its optimum temperature.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:59 pm

CJ wrote:Was drivin' home from work today and didn't notice the problem, in saying that I wasn't sparing the horses beforehand ;)
Reckon its symtomatic of the ATF not reaching its optimum temperature.
Ciaran

Yea that's what it sounds like alright -it's amazing the difference a little heat can make.... and then too much and you go the other side of good.... into bad, bad, bye, bye tip box territory :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:25 pm

Daz wrote:

Ciaran

I hate to say this cj but i had that problem in my old box a month or two before it packed up, but doing a fluid and filter change got rid of it, before the box packed it in unexpectely.

I wonder was this the start of my problems??
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:50 pm

shane wrote:I wonder was this the start of my problems??

I'm shelling out enough at the moment, don't depress me any further ;)

Since I first posted this thread I've been driving in auto mode about 90% of the time (no point using Tip when I'm always stuck in traffic). Everything seems fine, in fact at the time, I think I was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:18 pm

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:I wonder was this the start of my problems??

I'm shelling out enough at the moment, don't depress me any further ;)

Since I first posted this thread I've been driving in auto mode about 90% of the time (no point using Tip when I'm always stuck in traffic). Everything seems fine, in fact at the time, I think I was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Ciaran

yea, I suspect I did the damage when I drove through that puddle - it was pretty deep (half-way up shin) and I was doing about 25mph at time - water splashed out sides of car way over height of bonnet. Mechanics reckoned if I'd changed the oil and filter the next day I might have been ok. Bugger! Maybe I should write an angry email to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county council complaining about that stretch of road and how it gets water logged.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical