FTO brake parts

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

FTO brake parts

Postby fergal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi, i need a brake balancing (proportioning) valve for a 1996 1830cc FTO. my car failed the NCT because the rear brakes are not balanced, was told i need a new valve, maybe the existing one can be fixed ? any help appreciated , thanks
fergal

Re: FTO brake parts

Postby Mustang » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:29 pm

I think mine failed on the same issue, (now resolved). I did not replace the valve though, IIRC it's quite an expensive part. Instead I replaced the rear discs and pads, and had the calipers reconditioned -a worn or leaking caliper would also cause an imbalance. I'd also suggest replacing the two rear (half) hand brake cables -they are quite cheap and should improve the hand brake berformance, which is notoriously bad on the FTO.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby belfastman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Mine failed today on rear brakes/handbrake too.......................it says on my refusal of MOT........ brake system,footbarake left/right differential high...rear.......................................parking brake effort low..rear... Where would you get these"two rear (half) hand brake cables" Would or could the problem be i need to replaced rear brake pads?
belfastman
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Sun May 01, 2011 8:57 am

Camskill sell the cables, check their site. A visual inspection of the pads should tell if they're close to the metal.

Brake imbalance aside, try tightening up the tensioner nut beside the handbrake (remove cup holder in centre console to access).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby belfastman » Sun May 01, 2011 1:31 pm

CJ.....does this mean my rear screen high 3rd brake light? "brake system,foot brake left/right differential high...rear."...... that last part was what i failed MOT on yesterday.
belfastman
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to FTO Technical