Emissions bad, potentially burning oil!

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Emissions bad, potentially burning oil!

Postby RatherBeDean » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Alright lads,
Just back from the NCT with an emissions failure.

Stopped by the local fast fit on the way home and he reckons it's doom and gloom with the engine burning oil.

Have noticed a little bit of smoke the last while but it usually disappears after a bit of mileage so I don't believe it's rings or valves, however a quick Google search seems to make it out to be bad enough, some suggestions calling for a head gasket or a whole new engine.

Rang Paul Nolan, he mentioned buying or borowing a cat to try solve the problem. Could any of you guys (Seb/Gerry?) be of any assistance?

Just fyi stats are as follows:
Low Idle:
CO 0.11 vol%
HC 162ppm

High idle:
CO 0.46 vol%
HC 202 ppm

Also I've lost my numbers when switching phones so gimme a shout via pm with your number if you can lend a hand.

PS: Ran a feck of diptaine through the engine the last few days.
RatherBeDean
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: Emissions bad, potentially burning oil!

Postby mivecrx » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm

How much oil is it using?

When you say it disappears after a bit of mileage do you mean it's smokey when started but goes after a few mins? That could be worn valve seals, it would also show after idling for a while. What's the engines mileage?

Worn rings would show this symptom all the time not just on start up.

Your emissions aren't that high.
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:30 pm

The local fast fit? To be honest, you would have been better off asking the till assistant at the nearest burger king to diagnose the problem.

Why not swap the cat on the red fto i'm still waiting on? :lol: joke. I used redex fuel treatment (as suggested by paul nolan) and gave is socks, running the engine hard before getting a near perfect result last time.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby RatherBeDean » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Ran a whole diptaine through it and ran her up the M1 for ages, the CO was still 16% out which os fairly high I think.

Honestly think that the problem won't be solved by a new cat, but gonna see what Paul can do anyway.
RatherBeDean
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby RatherBeDean » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:28 am

mivecrx wrote:How much oil is it using?

When you say it disappears after a bit of mileage do you mean it's smokey when started but goes after a few mins? That could be worn valve seals, it would also show after idling for a while. What's the engines mileage?

Worn rings would show this symptom all the time not just on start up.

Your emissions aren't that high.

Sorry mate completely missed this post.

Yeah there's a little smoke on startup and when idling, but it disappears when moving about or after a good run.

What would the valve seals cost to repair?

Edit: 104,000km on the clock, and the oil level isn't dropping at an alarming rate or anything.
RatherBeDean
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Return to NCT \ MOT