Awful, awful quotes.

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Awful, awful quotes.

Postby Wildhound » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:55 pm

Hey guys. Having insurance problems at the moment.

Quinn have increased my quote by roughly €400 since last year (from ~€1200 to €1600 TPFT!!) so naturally I didn't accept. I decided to shop around but I have met with no success whatsoever.

I tried all of the usual online suspects (bestquote.ie, 123.ie, insure.ie etc) and none of them would quote me for an FTO. I also tried a couple of brokers such as Glennon and Axa and they returned quotes ranging from €2700 to €3500. I called Hibernian but they claim they won't insure FTOs for new customers AT ALL.

I'm loathe to pay Quinn that kind of money but I'm off the road at the moment while I sort this out. Anyone got any ideas? Would greatly appreciate it, cheers!
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby CJ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:07 pm

What are your stats?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wildhound » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 pm

23, 3 years NCB, no penalty points.

More good news! Allianze don't insure 'sports cars'. Damn I really need to stop racing my FTO. :roll:
Wildhound

Postby CJ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm thinking that you age and / or NCB is going against you with some of the mainstream insurers. Have you tried Britton or xsdirect.ie?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:43 pm

Most insurers are increasing premiums I'm afraid, it will be a common occurence to see premiums rise year on year now...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wildhound » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Hmmm, I was worried that might be the case. xsdirect gave me another unpleasant quote. Britton said they'd have to call me back tomorrow because the system didn't return a quote.

*sigh* It looks like Quinn are best again, as much as it pains me.
Wildhound

Postby karlf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Go on-line and do a quote out on quinn-direct.com. Mine went up when they sent out the renewal in the post. About €200 if iirc, from €540 to over €700. Went on line did up a quote and got it for €548. Rang quinn and gave out yards and got it for the on line price. Its worth a go.
Going from my own experience a few years back when I got the FTO first quinn were the oly ones to insure me. I was the same age as yourself then, I'm 27 now,6 years NCB and still have trouble. I'm still with quinn. Good luck.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby ikeane » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Have any of your details changed since you last got insured?

You could bypass the mouths on the other end of the phone and try a manager, they're the ones to talk to about making any change to the quote.
ikeane
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Uncle B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:41 pm

From doing quotes online its seems mine will increase also...

Apparently the cost of claims fell last year so the increase in premiums is totally unjustified

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/200 ... uaucwmhgb/
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

insurance

Postby welshrarebit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi there. Got quoted a ridiculous amount in August by my insurance company so moved to XS Direct. Semed to be the cheapest around at the time, so may be worth a look.
welshrarebit
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Bernard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:39 am

I'd place XS direct just behind Quinn on my list...you're technically insured but if anything does happen, you're left with the first 4K to pay :roll:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:21 am

Bernard wrote:I'd place XS direct just behind Quinn on my list...you're technically insured but if anything does happen, you're left with the first 4K to pay :roll:

Note that the excess is 2k if your female. I would consider XS direct as a last resort.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Uncle B » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:04 pm

If you had to go with a 4K excess you may aswell insure a 1 litre Micra and drive the FTO on 3rd party only
Uncle B

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Uncle B wrote:If you had to go with a 4K excess you may aswell insure a 1 litre Micra and drive the FTO on 3rd party only

somebody would have to have the FTO insured to them for this to work.

and it's not legal...
colm_mcm

awful quotes

Postby welshrarebit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Paid a bit extra for the yearly insurance with CS direct, abd now have 1000 euro excess instead of 2000. Thought this was reasonable at the time!
welshrarebit
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby optical illusion » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Just give up wildhound, I called 20 different insurers and xcess would only insure me if I had the air filter removed by a certified mechanic. Coz lets face it, my induction kit does give me 100 bhp more :roll:
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:58 pm

optical illusion wrote:Just give up wildhound, I called 20 different insurers and xcess would only insure me if I had the air filter removed by a certified mechanic. Coz lets face it, my induction kit does give me 100 bhp more :roll:

And all that weight the GPVR saves must make a huge difference too :D
colm_mcm

Postby Uncle B » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:00 am

colm wrote:somebody would have to have the FTO insured to them for this to work.

Check this boards thread, I called (and later emailed) both Hibernian and QD found out neither need the car to be insured. It just can't belong to you.

If insurance is going to cost me half (if not more, going on what they're selling for now) the value of my car in one year then I'll gladly fill in a change of ownership form and drive it 3rd party. It's more of a loophole than anything else.

If they give me an OK quote, i'll take it. I'm young and its a powerful enough car, but if it jumps alot, for no reason, after another claim free year then...
Uncle B

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 pm

I loathe xsdirect. 4000euro excess, can hardly be called insurance when your car is only worth 4 or 5k. might as well flush the cash down the drain. I'd hate to think of anyone on here having a slight tap and having some "nice Irish person" sudenly having back pain and looking for 8000euro for back scans etc. forking up 4k is probably not an option for most people.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 pm

I rang at the time of renewal and asked the cavan clan if they could do any better. They said not unless my car is worth less than stated (at the time I went with 7k).

Considering that they will pay out what they feel like and in this economic climate I wouldn't get that for my car, it'll be going waaaaay down next renewal.

In retrospect I'm a twat and should have said it was worth less. Oh well...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Got a quote of 2500 with a 2000 excess from First Ireland today :shock:

Hope Quinn aren't gonna shaft me this year.

Laura: In this case, value of the car has very little impact on your premium.
colm_mcm

Postby optical illusion » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 pm

Any impact would help!

Girl on the phone seemed all for reducing it if the value had decreased!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I was charged 100 extra for an increase of 3k to 4k in value IIRC

Bad move on my part...
Uncle B

Re: Awful, awful quotes.

Postby padidas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:16 am

Wildhound wrote:Hey guys. Having insurance problems at the moment.

Quinn have increased my quote by roughly €400 since last year (from ~€1200 to €1600 TPFT!!) so naturally I didn't accept. I decided to shop around but I have met with no success whatsoever.

I tried all of the usual online suspects (bestquote.ie, 123.ie, insure.ie etc) and none of them would quote me for an FTO. I also tried a couple of brokers such as Glennon and Axa and they returned quotes ranging from €2700 to €3500. I called Hibernian but they claim they won't insure FTOs for new customers AT ALL.

This is actually making me feel GOOD about my policy... didnt read this post till now...

I checked online quotes with Quinn (currently with them) fully comp - 2250

Still astronomically high in my opinion considering i can get a standard non-turbo MR2 (same value, and power) for 1360 fully comp!!

My policy is up towards the end of June, and i can only imagine the price i'll get now for my renewal, already had to pay an extra 900 euro ontop of the 1300 euro i had paid for the car i was on before, when i was transferring the insurance over after I bought the GR...

Stats = 22, Full licence, Living in Dublin, 3 years named experience (doesnt count after the first year of insurance i found out the hard way) and in June it'll be 2 years NCB on my own policy....

honestly didnt think I could get a quote anywhere else...... If the market was better i'd seriously consider selling mine and getting the MR2 considering the Rev 3 turbo would only cost me 1800 fully comp for the year (checked it out)

pad
padidas
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re:

Postby miss-enzo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:30 pm

optical illusion wrote:Any impact would help!

Girl on the phone seemed all for reducing it if the value had decreased!

ya they said that to me to so i dropped the value 2k (cause from the start of my policy i had it down for 10k!) and it reduced my premium and whole......... €7!!! its a joke!! dunno why they ask you the value anyway they only give you market price and then might give you something back for "value adding mods" like brakes, suspension etc.

I was messing on the website too and tried a few combinations of ages (im 25 a month after my renewal) 24 with 5yrs ncb, 25 with 5 years ncb, 26 with 6yrs ncb and they made fook al difference in the price!!! its a complete joke!! I tried hibernian too a while back and for just insuring my car (ie no open drivin) it was €650 which wasnt bad except the whole open drivin thing and that i didnt have any of my mods declared as there was nowhere to put them on the online form.

you last option is to email the Irish Insurance Federation and tell them whats goin on! I mean you 23 with 3yrs ncb i know a girl that age with 1yr ncb paying the same for fully comp on a tt supra and i know its the girl thing but thats a HUGE difference in both car and premium cost!
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo
My other car's an FTO...as well
My other car's an FTO...as well

Next

Return to Motor Insurance