weird speedo / stalling problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

weird speedo / stalling problem

Postby Leeandjude » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 pm

ok this is a good one!
my speedo goes off in the FTO but normally its when you pull up to a standstill and pull away again. now you can kick start it to work again by flicking the ignition on / off while driving (not reccomended) which sometime can get it to work.
The weird bit is that when you pull up to a standstill when the speedo isnt working the car will stall. It starts again first time so its just annoying really.

so....any ideas? speedo sensor in gearbox? delimiter chip? speedo cluster? but why is the engine stalling? :?
thanks!
Leeandjude
1st gear
1st gear

Re: weird speedo / stalling problem

Postby optical illusion » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 am

Have you cleaned the starter motor?
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Leeandjude » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 pm

is the starter motor connected to the speedo in someway then? thats the first time ive heard of that! lol
Leeandjude
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 am

Only thing I can think of is the stepper motor, but if the speedo is dropping to 0 while you're still getting power accelerating, I don't know. Is the speedo dropping to 0 when your foot is off the gas? If so, there may well be some carbon build up. I had this problem in the 94 GR when I first got it. Sometimes it would cut out while I was still rolling. I got it looked at right away. Dangerous issue imo.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Leeandjude » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:27 pm

yep power is fine. it has never cut out on me while driving. the engine will only stall when the speedo is not working and then even with the speedo not working its still 50/50 if it cuts out.
the speedo only stops working if i come to a standstill at junction etc, then the next time you come to a stop again it may cut out.
i have took out the speedo sensor in gearbox and cleaned it but no luck
sorry if this is a tricky one! lol :D
Leeandjude
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical