Finally Robbed !!!

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Finally Robbed !!!

Postby Kace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 am

Well - after 16 years of car ownership in the big shmoke I have finally had my first mini taste of car crime. Went out this morning and clicked alarm only to find that it was being armed rather than disarmed - happens to me the odd time but most times I could swear that I locked up yet find it unlocked - anyone else share this with me?

Anyway, I open up and see that something from my glovebox is on my front seat - don't remember putting that there! Then I see that my car has actually had a full body cavity search performed with every pocket, nook, cranny emptied. Then the difficult part - wondering what the hell you had in the car and is it still there.

In summary, I think I was relieved of the following :

Radar Detector
Garmin Sat Nav
Change Purse for Tolls
Immobiliser Fob

I was left with :

Bluetooth headset
All cables and chargers
The few tools I had in the car
Full boot contents including golf trolley, golf shoes, the odd few clubs, decat pipe, CD changer etc.
No damage to anything, but there was a smell of unwashed in the car when I got in

I suppose I got away lightly compared to most but given my immob fob was taken I'll be locking her up with the mega locks for the next while to avoid any more surprises !
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Finally Robbed !!!

Postby StewyD32 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:06 am

Sorry to hear about that kace.
You got off VERY lightly there. Most cases is your going to find it wrapped around a pole or burnt out in a field.

By what you said im jumping to it being just an opportunist rather than someone targeting your car.
Lock it up as good as you can. Your going to get a few sleepless nights when you hear a noise outside. :(

Any damage to it at all?
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Kace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 am

No damage whatsoever and no forced locks so it must have been open. I drove it off to work 5 mins after I noticed that everything was perfectly in order.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 am

It;s good they didnt take the car KAce, be happy with that !
Just out of interest what alarm do you have ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 am

That alarm thing happens me sometimes too. Maybe it's pressing the button too quickly before door closes and alarm/locks don't respond as a result. Very good to hear that your car was unscathed. Makes us all think about security i am sure. That bollard just rose a notch on my priorities list. I really want one of those electric bollards, because I just know I won't bother with a manual one most of the time, especially in bad weather. They were on ebay a few weeks ago for circa €300 but now they only have the manual ones.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 am

Be on the lookout for a Skanger who doesn't play golf.

What stereo are you using? The fact that it's still there would suggest it was an opportunist, kids etc rather than someone who broke in

Awful thing to happen, but at least you still have the car
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:23 pm

I have a Nasar Alarm and separate immobiliser which has served me well over many years, so would prefer it if the immobiliser fob had not been robbed.

I am convinced that this was nothing more than an opportunist theft carried out by someone who normally roams the city suburbs scanning skips and removing all items that may have half a chance of being re-used.

He / she was obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed though as there was no attempt to take the power cables and chargers that are required for the Sat Nav and Radar.

Anyway - I am still counting myself lucky and will be super vigilant from now on re locking the car. Unfortunately due to the immob fob theft I will now have to supplement my night-time security with my Kryptonite Barbed Wire Motorcycle Cable and Disk lock.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm

This has happened me a few times akright - car is unalarmed in morning. Luckily im in a secure basement, but still. Nit sure if it me or alarm. Clifford 650 mark 2. The range on fob is huge so think maybe I unarm it by mistake when far from car. Not sure. May have just forgot to arm it or held button too long and armed dusarmed in one go.
Has happened few times though. Usually parked securely, but might not be so lucky if street parked.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:23 pm

I know my Clifford would arm again if you didn't open the car within 30 seconds of unlocking
colm_mcm

Return to General FTO Discussion