My IP Address blocked from site!

If you've any comments on what might make fto-ireland.com a better site, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

My IP Address blocked from site!

Postby Baldrick » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi. When attempting to access the site today, I got an automated response from the server saying it was blocking certain IP addresses and mine was one of them :( I don't know if this was intentional or not, but thought I'd let you know.

I was connected via a 3 mobile modem (last time I successfully logged on using this was two days ago). My understanding of this network is that it has a small number of IP addresses which hundreds of users share at the same time. If one of them was mucking about on the site and you blocked their IP address, you may have unwittingly blocked a couple of hundred innocent users who were allocated the same IP address.

My IP address at the time was <IP> Not sure if Vodafone and other mobile broadband operators use the same system of sharing a handfull of addresses, but it might be worth checking if banning addresses.

This is not a complaint (love the site... avid reader, seldom post...) but FYI :wink:
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:02 pm

IP removed from your post Baldrick.

That address has never been blocked on the forum, loos like an issue with your ISP.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 pm

I actually had the exact same problem last night, and similarly was working off a 3 modem at the time. I didn't say anything cos I assumed it was just a niggle on my machine. I never noted the IP I was just using at the time, just changed it and had no problem after.
I'm afraid my technical knowledge stops here, but its interesting to see I wasn't alone in my issue.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Baldrick » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:00 pm

CJ wrote:IP removed from your post Baldrick.

That address has never been blocked on the forum, loos like an issue with your ISP.

CJ

Just logged off my standard boadband and logged back on using 3 mobile. Was allocated different IP address and all is OK. Earlier message about banned IP came from Microsoft IIS. If you are hosted on a virtual server, it might not be you but the primary server blocking IPs. It wasn't just the forum... main site also blocked me. I could however access any other sites.

Please note... I'm not trying to win a case here. Post is purely FYI. It would be a shame if FTO fans couldn't access this great site! :wink:
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby TopCat » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:04 am

The same thing happened to me again last night. As per Baldrick, I'm def not pointing fingers or anything like that, its just my know-how on internet and IP address isn't great, and I thought someone might be able to shed some light?
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby CJ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:33 am

I'll get onto the web host to see if they're blocking IPs for some reason. If you're blocked at some point, pm me your IP address (you can check it @ www.whatsmyip.org )

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Will do. I ment to take a screen shot of what was displayed at the time, I think it was a 403 error if that makes any sense?
Thanks CJ
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Baldrick » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 pm

TopCat wrote:Will do. I ment to take a screen shot of what was displayed at the time, I think it was a 403 error if that makes any sense?
Thanks CJ

Yeah, it was a 403 (forbidden) error.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Marie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 am

Same thing happens to me when I try log on at home?
When you're good, you're good....... but when you're great you're ME
Marie
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:56 pm

Marie wrote:Same thing happens to me when I try log on at home?

Marie, next time it happens, go to www.whatsmyip.org and send me on your IP address (ciaran @ fto-ireland.com), I can't report it to the provider unless I have the info.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions, announcements and updates