fto not starting!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

fto not starting!

Postby jds » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 pm

hi guys im new here so first id like to say hello and thank you for looking at my post!
i was wondering if anybody could help me. i got a new fto import (95 non mivec auto) a few months back, i have been busy lately so i havent really been out in it and it has just been sitting in my drive. but the other day i went to start her and she wouldnt start. i mean when i put the key in and turned it there was nothing, no dash lights, no engine turning over just nothing. at first i thought it was maybe the battery, so i hooked it upto my focus and tried jumping it but still nothing. left it on the leads for nearly an hour but still nothing. so then i thought maybe battery was completely screwed, tried my focus battery in her (which is only a month old so should be strong enough) and still nothing. i rang the mechanic and he thought it was battery too and took it and charged it but again nothing!!
i thought then the immoboliser but i dont really know a lot about them. either that or the ignition??
but nothing works on the car....like nothing, no lights, dash lights, hazard lights. i get the door open light on dash and mirrors and the beeping noise when you put the key in the ignition and the door is open.

incase it helps determining the problem i think my handbrake has seized because i cant move the car at all.

does anyone have any idea what this could be, any help would be greatly appreciated and thanx again for checking out my post.
:D
jds
1st gear
1st gear

Re: fto not starting!

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Does your Voltmeter read any voltage ?
If there is a buzz and a light when you open the door there is power allrigt .

If there is power and doesnt start sounds like the starter motor just went.
Also could be a loose connection in the ignition but's that's not a common thing to happen
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby jds » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 pm

voltmeter reads nothing mate, needle just sits still.
jds
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:42 pm

measure the voltage at the battery terminals . Did you swap it and still no joy or jou just tried the jump leads on the terminals ?!
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby jds » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:46 pm

i dont have a volt tester thing lol, i tried with leads at first but then i swapped the battery completely. i wouldnt be the immobiliser would it? i dont know what the buttons on my key fob do. i have 2 buttons,one of which has a star on it.
jds
1st gear
1st gear

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Perhaps you blew the main fuse while jump starting or swapping the batteries
colm_mcm

Postby optical illusion » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Sounds indirectly battery related. Not the immobiliser as this will let the engine turn over.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jds » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:00 pm

how do you mean indirectly? should i just go and buy a new beefy battery and see what happens??
jds
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical