Engine/Ignition problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Engine/Ignition problem

Postby FreeLander » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:18 pm

Hi. So it was like that. I was driving an FTO yesterday and suddenly the rounds of the engine began to jump from 2000 to 4000 rpm. And when I pushed the brakes the car cut out. I turned on the ignition but it faded. It didn.t fade if at the same time I was pushing the accelerator pedal. I came back to garage and now the situation is following: every time I torn on the ignition the engine works for a couple of seconds and then fades. Could someont tell me please what may be the problem and how it can be fixed. Thank you.
FreeLander

Re: Engine/Ignition problem

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:48 pm

That will be your ISC mate (Idle speed control valve) its on the inlet manifold directly below the air breather, take it off clean the spindle which is inside and spray carb cleaner or similar into the body of the ISC and using clean rags try mop up the resulting back mess then give it another lash of the carb cleaner and reassemble, the rest of the build up that you couldn't get out will now be loose and thrown out thru normal driving

Hope this helps

FreeLander wrote:Hi. So it was like that. I was driving an FTO yesterday and suddenly the rounds of the engine began to jump from 2000 to 4000 rpm. And when I pushed the brakes the car cut out. I turned on the ignition but it faded. It didn.t fade if at the same time I was pushing the accelerator pedal. I came back to garage and now the situation is following: every time I torn on the ignition the engine works for a couple of seconds and then fades. Could someont tell me please what may be the problem and how it can be fixed. Thank you.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Re: Engine/Ignition problem

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:43 pm

FreeLander wrote:Hi. So it was like that. I was driving an FTO yesterday and suddenly the rounds of the engine began to jump from 2000 to 4000 rpm.

Freelander, Daz is right, sounds like the ISC alright. Theres a good write up on the cleaning\replacing process on the Funky FTO site:

http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/idling.html

Nice to see someone from Russia on the forums, are there many FTO's in your part of the world?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical