Sleepless nights....

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sleepless nights....

Postby escu_calin » Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 am

clarkenator wrote:Yea i have changed the filter in the engine bay.. And i had someone test the ignition and its still sparking all the time.. so it must be fuel related but i dont know where?

if you narrowed down here is all about conduits and pump

il put my money on pump since conduits clog rarely

u said at one time that the problem comes after a couple of miles, you shut the engine and it starts again.. that might be a hint of tired pump since u dont leak fuel!

i bet you run with the tank almost empty every time(under half anyway) , so the pump does not get the right cooling since its body is kinda immersed into the tank bay.. that also makes the pump die early!

I would buy a new pump from camskill since is uprated and maybe u get 10% off;)

hope to get it normal soon
escu_calin
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby clarkenator » Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 pm

i didn't think of that lol.. i went to silverstone jap fest last year and filled the tank to the brim drove 110 miles in 2 hours and didn't have any problems.. im going to try that i think.. thank you :)
clarkenator
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby escu_calin » Thu May 27, 2010 12:52 pm

clarkenator wrote:i didn't think of that lol.. i went to silverstone jap fest last year and filled the tank to the brim drove 110 miles in 2 hours and didn't have any problems.. im going to try that i think.. thank you :)

yes but if you encounter the issues u described ; the pump is well on its way out .. so , with this new insight from u ; i advise strongly to make a camskill order asap and replace the pump if u do not like ending up with a dead pump and a dead car.. and a huge taxi/jack UP bill (which i guess would be exactly as a new pump if not more.. depending where it dies :)) )
escu_calin
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby clarkenator » Thu May 27, 2010 3:37 pm

dont worry lol im drivin my land rover to work at the mo.. just untill i can get it fixed but i definetly replace the pump.
clarkenator
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby clarkenator » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Just got a qoute from Camskill they've got a standard pump, and an uprated pump for the same price.. which one do you think I should go for? im not too bothered about uprating the performance yet.. everything on the car is standard apart from the wheels..
clarkenator
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby CJ » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Standard pump should be more than sufficient unless you're looking at uprated injectors.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:12 am

clarkenator wrote:Just got a qoute from Camskill they've got a standard pump, and an uprated pump for the same price.. which one do you think I should go for? im not too bothered about uprating the performance yet.. everything on the car is standard apart from the wheels..

If they're the same price...I'd go with the uprated one..but that's me..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby escu_calin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:
clarkenator wrote:Just got a qoute from Camskill they've got a standard pump, and an uprated pump for the same price.. which one do you think I should go for? im not too bothered about uprating the performance yet.. everything on the car is standard apart from the wheels..

If they're the same price...I'd go with the uprated one..but that's me..

if no uprated injectors in plan ;
Then the standard one is advisable since it provides the expected pressure and expected power dissipation; because the pump is at core a simple motor which is capable of more or less RPM and this lead us to less or more power absorption, so here ; the less is better since less power absorption=less heat dissipation doing exactly same job ;)
escu_calin
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby eamop » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 pm

i also would have thought of the pump as the problem.I had a 00 vw bora which had similar issues.At idle it would run fine all day as there was minimal strain on the pump but over 3k rpm it would start to struggle and splutter and the same as you if i turned off the engine for a period and then start it back up it would run fine for a few miles and then start to splutter again.I brought it to a good mechanic i know in tallaght and he had a look.He explained the symptoms like this ,at low revs the pump has less work to do and can manage to supply enough fuel to the engine but the more the engine requires the more the pump has to struggle thus resulting in spluttering as the engines get's starved of fuel.The reason it ran ok for a few miles after it was stopped and restarted was this, the fuel pump was priming the fuel lines when the key was turned first,and the fuel in the lines would be sufficient for a few miles of easy driving.As for the better performance on a full tank i can only put that down to the weight of the fuel in the tank pushing the fuel through the pump but as it gets lower down the natural pressure is reduced and the pump cant cope again.

hope this helps
eamop
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby clarkenator » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:17 pm

I would like to say a massive thank you to both 'escu_calin' and 'eamop'.. thanks to you guys as of next week my FTO will be back on the road.. It was the fuel pump at fault in the end, and thanks to camskill for supplying the parts..

So, thanks guys, your legends, and if we ever meet i owe you both a pint! :D
clarkenator
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby escu_calin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:12 am

clarkenator wrote:I would like to say a massive thank you to both 'escu_calin' and 'eamop'.. thanks to you guys as of next week my FTO will be back on the road.. It was the fuel pump at fault in the end, and thanks to camskill for supplying the parts..

So, thanks guys, your legends, and if we ever meet i owe you both a pint! :D

so glad for your old lady

il hold u for a nice cold pint:))
escu_calin
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Antonio333 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:02 am

If you are worried about the fuel and are pretty sure its not a sensor or spark, your best bet is to get a fuel pressure test, this will eliminate the problem of your fuel pump being faulty under load or the lack of fuel getting to the engine right up to the injectors to keep it running smoothly. This would also not bring up any red lights on the dash.
Antonio333

Postby goz_83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:28 pm

The message you replied to is over 2 years old. The dates of posts are at the top of the post. Hope that helps mate.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Previous

Return to FTO Technical