Is my alternator fcuked??

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Is my alternator fcuked??

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:52 am

How do folks!! just going to work this morning and went to start the car, the battery was dead, and nothing was left on, lights or anything which leads me to the alternator!! any one know how i can check or is it the case of just bringing it to someone who knows what they are doing and get them to check it?? oh yeah i eventually got it started and after i got to work i turned off the ignition and started it up a few times with no problems!! :?

tia

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Is my alternator fcuked??

Postby soc » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:29 am

Dave wrote:How do folks!! just going to work this morning and went to start the car, the battery was dead, and nothing was left on, lights or anything which leads me to the alternator!! any one know how i can check or is it the case of just bringing it to someone who knows what they are doing and get them to check it?? oh yeah i eventually got it started and after i got to work i turned off the ignition and started it up a few times with no problems!! :?

tia

dave

Hey Dave,

Sounds to me like it's more likely to be your battery itself. The alternator only comes into play when your driving - it charges the battery. If the battery drained over night and you left nothing on then it sounds like the battery is shot and can't hold its charge over time. The fact that the car started fine when you got to work would suggest that the alternator is working fine as it probably charged the battery during the drive to work - if it happens again I'd change the battery first as the cheaper option. Then if all else fails take the car to an auto-electrician who can check the alternator.

Cheers
Shane, ex-GS owner and desperately seeking a GR/GPX/GPvR.... :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:50 am

cheers shane ( soon to be V6 owner).
hopefully it is just a battery, the alternator sounds more expensive!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Is my alternator fcuked??

Postby Daz » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:16 am

Another reason could be that the batt was drained by the leaving on of the interiour lights or the boot light. It happened to one of the owners in England several months ago, he discovered that it was the switch for the boot wasn't working properly thus leaving the light on. he discovered this after getting a new batt and that getting drained, And then climing in the boot and getting a mate to close it but the light stayed on, it was posted on the smartgroups site in feb i think, probably find it with a search.

Hope this helps
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:45 am

well i got a new battery last night, fitted it and no problems so far, straight on this morning... i think i'll leave climbing in the boot for another couple of days!! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:01 am

Dave wrote:well i got a new battery last night, fitted it and no problems so far, straight on this morning... i think i'll leave climbing in the boot for another couple of days!! :wink:

sure you can always just disconnect the boot light anyway.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical