Flashband

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Flashband

Postby soc » Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:40 pm

Covered the inside of the bootlid with Flashband yesterday! Very, very good stuff. I used Evostick Flashband (from Woodies) and it's brilliant. It's got a metallic cover on the non-adeshive side and is really pliable and very sticky. When I close the boot now it has a really nice heavy sound (akin to a VW or BMW) - sounds much more expensive and less tinny.

Gonna do the boot floor and walls today and the 2 front doors and (hopefully) under the backseasts next weeknd.

Can't wait - reckon the car will sound totally different to drive (more solid).

Best 13 euor I've ever spent on a car.......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:50 am

Glad I could pass on this cheap tip, you'll be surprised how much road noise and vibration are cut down on.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:00 pm

CJ wrote:Glad I could pass on this cheap tip, you'll be surprised how much road noise and vibration are cut down on.

Ciaran

Aw man, I did approx 2/3 of the boot floor and have most of the boot lid done - it's a different beast altogether. I dunno is it just in my head but the car feels much more solid to drive - and a lot of the "flimsy" feeling over rutted roads is gone. I can't wait to get the entire boot floor and walls and drivers doors done. Depending on results there I may leave under the seats.

And the best thing.... it's cheap as chips (13 euro for all the boot lid and 2/3 of boot floor) and it's not that heavy.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:10 pm

shane wrote:I dunno is it just in my head but the car feels much more solid to drive - and a lot of the "flimsy" feeling over rutted roads is gone. I can't wait to get the entire boot floor and walls and drivers doors done. Depending on results there I may leave under the seats.

And the best thing.... it's cheap as chips (13 euro for all the boot lid and 2/3 of boot floor) and it's not that heavy.

No, I'm the same. I'd be driving down a stretch of road that you would usually assosiate with plenty of noise etc and it just dosn't kick in, then you remeber you're 13 quid and remind yourself that you just don't get that type of value for money in this day and age ;)

The section under the rear seats may not need that much, theres already some material in the centre section. I replaced the plastic between the boot and the cabin with MDF (so as I can screw amps into it), that also made a difference to road noise from the boot.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:12 pm

CJ wrote: I replaced the plastic between the boot and the cabin with MDF (so as I can screw amps into it), that also made a difference to road noise from the boot.

Ciaran

yea, I think I'll probably do that too and at the same time replace the "cardboard" floor in the boot with some mdf.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:57 pm

FYI Guys - the front floor pan is probably well worth doing also. This is one of the key places to focus on when soundproofing if road noise reduction is the objective - the more the better. Don't worry about the excess weight of the stuff either - I have been travelling around with a very heavy load (2x10" subs/amp/cd etc.) for years - car still goes a bomb.
K
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:02 pm

Kace wrote:FYI Guys - the front floor pan is probably well worth doing also.
K

Yeah, I was thinking of this as well, I reckon it would make a big difference but I'd say there would be a bit of work involved ripping out all the seats and carpets. If I have a day or two free I might give it a go.
Apparently there are also benefits to be had from soundproofing the roof.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:30 pm

CJ wrote:
Kace wrote:FYI Guys - the front floor pan is probably well worth doing also.
K

Yeah, I was thinking of this as well, I reckon it would make a big difference but I'd say there would be a bit of work involved ripping out all the seats and carpets. If I have a day or two free I might give it a go.
Apparently there are also benefits to be had from soundproofing the roof.

Ciaran

Doing under the back seats is easy... doing under the front seats is another thing.... I'm not sure I could bother with the effort.....

Did you get the front doors done in the end?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:40 pm

shane wrote:Did you get the front doors done in the end?

Yep, done the door skins the inner door frame and the door panels, nice clunk when you close the door, no rattles and no vibration when the sounds are pumping.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:28 pm

Lads i went looking for flashband in woodies at the weekend all i could find was "flash band Primer" it looked for all the world like black paint.

I did inside the boot lid with expanding foam and i tried to do inside the door but i was afraid the foam would block the passage of the mechanicals of the door handles and the window.

Whats the stuff your using???

Cheers

R :?:
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:17 pm

[quote="Speedyboy"]
Whats the stuff your using???
[quote]

The brand name of the flashband I used was 'Black Jack', you'd be better off going to a builders providers if you can't get it in Woodies etc.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:49 pm

Thanks for the help ill try around the next time im in town

R :D
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy

Postby soc » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:35 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Thanks for the help ill try around the next time im in town

R :D

Woodies in Sandyford Industrial estate and Woodies in Swords both have the Flashband.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion