Huston we have a problem!!!

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Huston we have a problem!!!

Postby Daz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:42 pm

As you know i've decided to put my FTO back on the road but have come across a problem!!

Its still on irish plates and the change over to English plates would be straight forward i thought...oh no it aint. Now i am estimating my cost for getting it back on the road will be £1,600.00 (spent nearly £700 on the brake bits) an yes i could of bought one for that but i was thinking better the devil you know...etc. but went onto dvla and for me to change onto english plate now instead of doing it straight away when i came here ( in my defence i drove it for 4 years on irish plate and irish insurance when i first came over) the dvla say its £5 per day for each day it is in the country before reg changeover and at a rough guess thats £21,900 to change the reg :shock: i'm guessing i'm going to have to scrap my baby :cry:
If i do i will buy another one but it ain't the point really i love that one the engine and gearbox on it were awesome hence why i kept hold of it all this time.... i'm gutted!!!!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Re: Huston we have a problem!!!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean, but would it make a difference if someone else bought it and then transferred it to uk plates?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:43 pm

goz_83 wrote:I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean, but would it make a difference if someone else bought it and then transferred it to uk plates?

Thats quite good idea i think! :whs
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Daz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:27 pm

goz_83 wrote:I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean, but would it make a difference if someone else bought it and then transferred it to uk plates?

Unfortunatly not an option as the DVLA require either a shipping invoice of ferry ticket with teg number on it as proof of when the car entered the country. The only way around it i can see is getting the car road worthy get my mate in ireland to bring his trailer over and take FTO back to ireland, i pay for temporary insurance (not cheap from what i have found) get FTO thru NCT then drive car back to england on the boat so it has ticket with reg on it and then change it, but all of that add's over another £1,000.00 onto the bill so at this rate its better to not be sentimental and just buy yet another one and take everything i want from this one. like hids, custom exhaust inc custom headers. Leather interiour and any body panels (ike version r wing) that i want and scrap the rest!!
But i really don't want to scrap her she was a great car!!
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Insurance is not so much an issue, as your friend could easily temp transfer his insurance, or hew may have a third party extension. Motor tax is a potential issue, but he would be just as well to trailer the car to the nct and get it tested, as no tax or insurance is needed. The biggest issue I would see here is making sure she is well warmed up to pass the dreaded emissions test. In saying all that, is it necessary for the car to have an nct? I am not sure it is. I sold mine to a lad in the north of Ireland who is getting the plates transferred to UK plates. Car had no tax or nct and he got it insured himself from a UK company. It's getting prepped for the MOT now.

My thinking is that the car could be sold to your mate for €1 and sold back to you for €1. Have the car ferried to Ireland and back and you have the reg number on the ticket for an irish car you just bought. Then transfer to uk plates. Job done.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 pm

As the above, they shouldnt have any trouble if the car left UK as you sold it to someone in IRL then bought it back with the log book stating his name then go to register it immediately with ferry tickets and all etc...
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Daz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Where i stand update!!!

I've been quiet the last couple of weeks big things happening.
firstly i got married on the 11-6-16 :D

Secondly it looks like beloved FTO won't be going back on the road :cry: :cry: i've been crunching numbers like crazy to see how much it will cost to get back on the road checked with dvla whats required etc and unfortunatly its just gonna cost me way too much and can buy another one cheaper ( if i can find a good one that is) i thought i did but owner wouldn't get it mot first so i guess there was more wrong than what he was saying so gave that in a swerve

But!!!! Find a good one i have or at least i think i have, i will know on friday when i go to see it, will post details if i buy

Sadly that means mine is going to get broken down. Unfortunatly its really too good for that but i just don't see what else to do. But i'm sure the full leather interiour or custom exhaust including headders or OEM facelift bumper or OEM version r spoiler will go to good homes if i don't need for next one myself ....its a sad sad day i've owned that red one 13-14 years, but even to sell it whole back to ireland its the added expence of the person buying it would have to take on putting it on a trailer to get it back just doesn't make it a cost effective for them a sad sad day :cry:
Daz

Postby Kace » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:52 pm

Daz wrote:Where i stand update!!!

I've been quiet the last couple of weeks big things happening.
firstly i got married on the 11-6-16 :D

Secondly it looks like beloved FTO won't be going back on the road :cry: :cry: i've been crunching numbers like crazy to see how much it will cost to get back on the road checked with dvla whats required etc and unfortunatly its just gonna cost me way too much and can buy another one cheaper ( if i can find a good one that is) i thought i did but owner wouldn't get it mot first so i guess there was more wrong than what he was saying so gave that in a swerve

But!!!! Find a good one i have or at least i think i have, i will know on friday when i go to see it, will post details if i buy

Sadly that means mine is going to get broken down. Unfortunatly its really too good for that but i just don't see what else to do. But i'm sure the full leather interiour or custom exhaust including headders or OEM facelift bumper or OEM version r spoiler will go to good homes if i don't need for next one myself ....its a sad sad day i've owned that red one 13-14 years, but even to sell it whole back to ireland its the added expence of the person buying it would have to take on putting it on a trailer to get it back just doesn't make it a cost effective for them a sad sad day :cry:

Sounds like a tale of mixed emotions - the happy newlywed, the FTO-killer, the FTO rebirth.

More happy than sad overall though - congratulations !
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Kace wrote:
Sounds like a tale of mixed emotions - the happy newlywed, the FTO-killer, the FTO rebirth.

More happy than sad overall though - congratulations !

Cheers kace.

Its just a shame the red one has to end the way it does, thou i'm going over to ireland for a 40th in a few weeks i might ask my mate if he wants it , once i get to drive it when i visit. Granted he already has my silver one in storage already, he might not take this one on aswell
Daz

Postby gazmcg89 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:04 pm

Why dont you buy a gb registered shell that has been broke for parts and reshell ? Or one with engine / gearbox failure they are still cheap
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:44 am

gazmcg89 wrote:Why dont you buy a gb registered shell that has been broke for parts and reshell ? Or one with engine / gearbox failure they are still cheap

I must admit they were options i looked at, as i'd gut mine and rehouse everything in it, but was finding it hard to find one that was in good condition...(so many not undersealed properly and now attacked by rust!!).but as i speak i'm on a train travelling over 330 miles to look at what i suspect a very clean model. I hope i'm proved right but from the pic's and everything it looks great, but i've got my snake cam from work to get a good look underneath too. And if i buy i'm sure with the journey ahead of me i'll stop at a services and post up a couple of pics.
Daz

Postby Peewee » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Good idea with the camera, I usually just jack them up and get dirty, works for me as I have seen some amount of rust under what appears to be a good car on top.
The key is not to be like a magpie and buy based on a shiny surface, as you say there are not too many example undersealed properly.
Peewee
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to General FTO Discussion