City vs. country insurance

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

City vs. country insurance

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Dont see what the fuss is, 'bout time the rest of the country got a bit of a bonus because they're not living in dublin. The insurance companies have figured out theres more people in the country than just the capital city maybe now the government will too.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: QUINN wont insure some areas of Dublin

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Dragonheart wrote: 'bout time the rest of the country got a bit of a bonus because they're not living in dublin. The insurance companies have figured out theres more people in the country than just the capital city maybe now the government will too.

You're gone way off on a tangent MJ, the discussion is centred on refusal to quote based on postcode or area as opposed to anything else.

Anyway, aren't you often likely to get a better quote if you're living outside of Dublin (main cities aside)?

(I see a thread split coming...)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karlf » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:41 pm

In the "greater Dublin area" (ie. Dublin and parts of Kildare, Meath, Wicklow that are close to Dublin) are usually higher risk than the rest of the country (excluding some major cities and towns) as far as I know. I got a few quotes for different addresses around the country and it was fairly similar for Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and dropped slightly the further I got from Dublin. If you want to find out how much cheaper it is go onto quinn and you get a quote and then edit your address and see if it makes a difference. Thats what I did just as an experiment as you often hear that it makes a major difference if you live outside Dublin. Leitrim is the cheapest county to live in for insurance, well it was for me anyhow.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Bernard » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:04 am

karlf wrote:Leitrim is the cheapest county to live in for insurance, well it was for me anyhow.

Well in fairness, Leitrim Co Co spare no expense when it comes to road safety.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0822/traffic.html
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:48 am

Look, its the same no matter what county you're in. Ya dublin is higher compared to the rest of the country, but in the County of Cork its cheaper to insure a car in the country areas as opposed to the city. Why? Cause theres more crime up there, theres more traffic up there, you're statistically more likely to have an accident or a tip up there, more roundabouts, more traffic lights, more people not paying attention, the list goes on. For the same reason if you have an alarm on your car and its garaged then supposedly its cheaper too, than it being on the street unalarmed. So if an insurance company looks at stats or whatever and at their profit and loss margins, and see the areas that they are paying out most on, to cut their losses or increase their profits, they'll cut out the area causing most of the payments. Its a business, they're there to make money from it, not out of the goodness of their hearts.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: City vs. country insurance

Postby CJ » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:27 am

Topic split
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: City vs. country insurance

Postby karlf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:47 am

Even in Dublin depending on your postcode your insurance can go up/down. It was cheaper for me to insure my car at my mothers house in Lucan than the apartment I was renting in Ashtown (between Castleknock and Finglas. It wasn't much in the difference but better in my pocket than theirs. Lucan is Co.Dublin and Ashtown is D15, I think the Co.Dublin made the difference.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Return to Motor Insurance