Changing from user to admin account activation

If you've any comments on what might make fto-ireland.com a better site, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Changing from user to admin account activation

Postby CJ » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:56 am

Every day, I have to delete 2 or 3 spam users from the forum who join up purely to publicise their dodgy websites. One way of combatting this annoyance is to change account authorisation on the forum from 'user' to 'admin'. This means that I would have to activate all new accounts rather than the user clicking on a link in an emai, thats sent to them. I'd appreciate feedback before any change is implemented, good idea / bad idea? Will it disuade users from joining up etc?

CJ
Last edited by CJ on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:10 pm

While it might help keep spammers off - it may not help to make it more difficult to join for newbies. If you feel theres a problem though you may have no choice.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:21 pm

I'd say go for it..it's not like we get 50 new members on a weekly basis..

I wouldn't mind helping if I can..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:29 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:I wouldn't mind helping if I can..

How about 'events coordinator'? :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:39 pm

CJ wrote:
Muad_dib77 wrote:I wouldn't mind helping if I can..

How about 'events coordinator'? :)

CJ

I think you're the all reigning champ of that one CJ :-)

If we do do somethign where we need a DJ though - I'd be happy to offer my services FOC... (strictly in a musical sense though... ;-) )

Seriously though - if you do need a hand organising stuff you have my number...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby JayVersion"R" » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:29 am

I'd say go for it CJ, but it is possible that it may deter the new people joining. Mite be an Idea to ask the other forums and see if they have had this prob and have they resolved it in any other way? Apart from that we could arrange a few beatings :evil:
JayVersion"R"
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:50 pm

Already done Jay - I go thru each new user and vet the details, if they're legit, I activate the a/c, if not then I have to delete it. I'm still getting 2 or 3 flutes a day registering their p0xy sites - its an issue on a lot of PHPBB forums, need to do some research in an effort to put these shower of bar stewards off....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JayVersion"R" » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:10 pm

Sounds seriuosly inconvenient. I must have a chat with a few buddies of mine and see if there's a software program available or something.
JayVersion"R"
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:12 pm

Do ya reckon they're automated signups or manual? if automated could you solve it by using those pics that you have to read the words off maybe?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:28 pm

kevinod wrote:Do ya reckon they're automated signups or manual? if automated could you solve it by using those pics that you have to read the words off maybe?

They're manual - I've implemented the random number graphic feature on registration, still doesn't put off the diehards....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:34 pm

go for it... I am P*ssed off with this on the carwatch forums too and thinking of same...
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:26 pm

I've got to a stage where I'm sick to the teeth deleting up to 10 spam user accounts per day, its time consuming and damn annoying. To that end, I've employed the use of a PHPBB2 mod called User Shield (interested PHPBB2 admins can find out about it here)

Code: Select all
MOD Description: Hides usernames and corresponding profile data from all except the Administrator until activated. Manage (activate or delete) non-activated members from the memberlist.

In other words, it allows the board admin (and to a lesser extent moderators) to delete inactive accounts in bulk, it also hides the profile of a user who is inactive (i.e. has not been activated by myself).

It seems that spammers are now able to get around the number generated graphic that you see on account signup. The only reason they join is to place a web site address in their profile, search engines such as Google then pick on the link which in turn increases the sites page ranking.

From today, I will be deleting all inactive accounts. As forum admin, I need to ensure the forum isn't used as a springboard for these shower of b@stards who have no interest in this community or what we're trying to achieve :smt011

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions, announcements and updates