Home broadband

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Home broadband

Postby kevinod » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:47 am

Hi all,

looking into getting broadband at my place, been holding off 'cos I have it at work and my parents place so it was a bill I didn't need, but looking at doing it now.

Who are you guys using? Looking for something reasonably fast but not too expensive. Don't download movies or any of that kinda stuff much, mostly forums , facebook, hotmail.

Are the Meteor/O2/Vodafone wireless yokes any good? If the landline ones are not much more expensive might go that way but the convenience of going online anywhere has it's attractions too...

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Re: Home broadband

Postby Baldrick » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:48 pm

I have a 3 'pay as you go' modem. Used it for a few months last year while waiting for a land line and found it ok. Promised download speeds were up to 3.6MBps, but I usually got around 1.3MBps. I wasn't expecting much more when I got it as the coverage map on their site indicated I wasn't in a great location for coverage. Having said that, 1.3MBps is perfectly adequate for what you say you need it for.

My son used a Meteor 'pay as you go' last year with similar results. It all depends on your location. O2 are currently offering to loan you a modem to try it out, so that would certainly be worth a look.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Broadband/Mobile+Broadband/More+Information/
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:00 pm

I had an O2 3G modem and got rid of it, terrible coverage in Dublin and very expensive roaming charges. I now have a Vodafone modem, better coverage but to be honest, they can be a bit hit and miss at times (location dependant).

I have UPC cable broadband at home (10Mbit), it works well and I've no complaints (apart from the fact that they throttle certain trafic but I expect every ISP will at the same carry on soon).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby paul2508 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:38 pm

i have clearwire the past two years. not one problem, simple monthly payment via direct debit. no hassle, fast enough for your basic browsing and social networking
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508
FTO-Ireland rules my world
FTO-Ireland rules my world

Postby Bernard » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:58 pm

I have a vodafone wireless modem, it gets the job done.
I tried one from 3 as it had double the speed and three times the download cap but I couldn't get reception where I am.
AFAIK any of them will let you return the modem for a full refund up to 14 days after purchase.

If I had a choice I'd get 'proper' wired broadband through the phone line but there's no sign of that becoming a possibility anytime soon.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Im on net1.ie me...I swore I wouldnt use them again ..but as it turns out out here in the sticks they are my only option..and I really dont want to pay any money to Eircom for line rental net1 has that sussed...

they're dear... but they've gotten quite good.. Connection is stable (JINX!!) and I have a fixed IP, no DL limit (although they do throttle cetain services that require many p2p connections - curiously they leave it open just enough so that it's still useable, odd that) .. Generally they're a great bunch of lads to deal with..quick and friendly now... they weren't always THAT great..

Oh and they give a pretty decent discount if you pay a year upfront...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby fatboyfat7 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:09 pm

I have an O2 plug in thing and its rubbish. It keeps freezing my computer. Ive already had to bring it back once. I stupidly signed a year contract with is up in feb so ill see it out until then. The parents have a 3G stick and I always found that very good. Never really had any issues but we wouldnt be doing much downloads with the exception of iTunes.
Fully functional White GPvR....
fatboyfat7
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby kevinod » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks guys... doing my best to avoid bills might give one of the mobile broadband yokes a go. Good idea to try a loan one and see how that goes.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Return to Off Topic