Changing the transmission fluid in a Tiptronic gearbox

FTO tips and tricks

Moderator: Moderators

Changing the transmission fluid in a Tiptronic gearbox

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:34 pm

Thanks to Shane for the text below, original thread here:

1) Run car for about 10 mins to warm up oil
2) Get car up on axle stands - you'll need 4 as you have to have the car level
3) Get oil catch container and place it under the drain plug - if you lie on your back under car the gearbox is on left side. Drain plug is on left of box (should be a 20mm hex bolt) - you might have to move the piece of plastic coming down from wheel arch to see it.
4) Undo plug and let oil drain out - I've heard it recommended that you need to let the oil drain overnight to make sure that all the oil drains out of the torque convertor.
5) After all oil is drained out refit drain plug (you don't need a washer)
6) Undo filter and let oil drain out.
7) Refill oil via the dipstick (need a funnel for this)

Its recommended to change the ATF and filter approx. every 10,000 - 15,000 kms.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zacob » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Is the filter easily available here or would I have to go to camskill for it. The reason I'm asking is the last time I did a tip oil change I couldn't get a filter from the local motor factors and needed to go to camskill for it.

cheers
zacob
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:44 pm

zacob wrote:Is the filter easily available here or would I have to go to camskill for it. The reason I'm asking is the last time I did a tip oil change I couldn't get a filter from the local motor factors and needed to go to camskill for it.

cheers

In my experience it's usually easier to get stuff from camskill. You know you're gonna get the right bits and you usually get a 2 day delivery (unless they don't have it in stock at the time). Probably a bit more expensive although I not that much I would have thought...
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:17 pm

zacob wrote:Is the filter easily available here or would I have to go to camskill for it

As per shanes reply, Camskill can supply. The FTO shares the same AT filter as the Galant, Legnum, Diamante and Mirage so you should be able to source one at the local factors.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JD » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:48 pm

Can I add one point for anyone that might not have four axel stands - When I did my own I jacked it up (on one side only) - operned the nut, and just put a large enough container underneath so that I could then lower the car again off the jack so its level - and left it there to drain - no problem!
JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Changing the transmission fluid in a Tiptronic gearbox

Postby macspratt » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:43 pm

CJ wrote:Thanks to Shane for the text below, original thread here:

1) Run car for about 10 mins to warm up oil
2) Get car up on axle stands - you'll need 4 as you have to have the car level
3) Get oil catch container and place it under the drain plug - if you lie on your back under car the gearbox is on left side. Drain plug is on left of box (should be a 20mm hex bolt) - you might have to move the piece of plastic coming down from wheel arch to see it.
4) Undo plug and let oil drain out - I've heard it recommended that you need to let the oil drain overnight to make sure that all the oil drains out of the torque convertor.
5) After all oil is drained out refit drain plug (you don't need a washer)
6) Undo filter and let oil drain out.
7) Refill oil via the dipstick (need a funnel for this)

Its recommended to change the ATF and filter approx. every 10,000 - 15,000 kms.

CJ
Hi cj,,going to do my box oil at the end of week,how much oil is required,is it something like 7.5L,then run the engine and check dip levels??
AIDAN,PASSION RED GR...
macspratt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Daz » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:14 pm

macspratt wrote: Hi cj,,going to do my box oil at the end of week,how much oil is required,is it something like 7.5L,then run the engine and check dip levels??
AIDAN,PASSION RED GR...

Aidan

if allowed to fully drain (overnight for about 24 hours) it would take 7.5 lts but if its just a drain leave for 20 min and refill it will take about 6.5lts, but best to put just 6 lts in and let it tick over for about 5 min check the levels and top up as required.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby macspratt » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:25 pm

Daz wrote:
macspratt wrote: Hi cj,,going to do my box oil at the end of week,how much oil is required,is it something like 7.5L,then run the engine and check dip levels??
AIDAN,PASSION RED GR...

Aidan

if allowed to fully drain (overnight for about 24 hours) it would take 7.5 lts but if its just a drain leave for 20 min and refill it will take about 6.5lts, but best to put just 6 lts in and let it tick over for about 5 min check the levels and top up as required.

Daz...

Cheers DAZ,,where about on the dip stick is the correct reading,never done a tip oil change before,and the dip dosent look quite like a conventional oil dip stick,a link or pick would be a huge help,,
THANX GUYS,, AIDAN,PASSION RED GR.....
macspratt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:31 pm

Assuming you're changing the oil when the box is cold (it wouldn't be very clever doing it when warm I suppose ;)), the level should be in the 'COLD' section of the dipstick. I'd recommend you take the car for a good drive afterwards and let it settle for 15/20 mins, check the level again, this time, the oil should be in the 'HOT' section, you get a better indication when the oil is hot.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 pm

macspratt wrote:Cheers DAZ,,where about on the dip stick is the correct reading,never done a tip oil change before,and the dip dosent look quite like a conventional oil dip stick,a link or pick would be a huge help,,
THANX GUYS,, AIDAN,PASSION RED GR.....

As cj has said, but just to clarify if you take a look at the recessed arears of the dip stick it actually says hot and cold on it so you shouldn't have any problems doing it.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby jonny » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:05 pm

just took mine into a mitsubishi dealers the guy said they do a few and had the part on the shelf and a big barrel of the fluid. part no for the filter is md752072 costing me €99.60 but clean hands and no worries coz i'll sue the b******s if they mess up. ( touch wood ) :D

Black gpx w sunroof n tcl
jonny
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:10 pm

jonny wrote:just took mine into a mitsubishi dealers the guy said they do a few and had the part on the shelf and a big barrel of the fluid

I hope the used Dextron III rated fluid or you'll be in for a surpise! What Mitsi garage out of interest?

jonny wrote:costing me €99.60

That sounds about right for a full tip oil change that been done properly, you'll find that the Mitsi garage will be that bit more expensive though.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:59 am

I changed the ATF fluid + filter over the weekend, it had only done 12,000 kms but I reckon the 11 year old 4sp Tip box will thank me in the long run. For once, I went by the book and disconnected the ATF cooling pipe, started her up and dropped her into neutral, then jumped out to check if the oil was draining out. I was met with a shower of ATF that was pi$$ing all over the underside of the car as well as the driveway, not something I was expecting!. I let it go anyway for about 45 seconds (manual said less than a minute, about 4 litres came out of the pipe but only about 1 litre ended up in the bucket! I managed to get another 2.5 litres out of the box, but at that stage, I was covered in ATF :roll: Anyway, theres a lession to be learned, next time I'll be hooking up a lenght of tubing to the ATF cooling pipe to direct the flow of oil rather than let end up where its not supposed to be!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Knowledgebase