Opinions required: Removing view access to non Forum members

If you've any comments on what might make fto-ireland.com a better site, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Should the FTO Ireland forums be closed to public view?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 12

Opinions required: Removing view access to non Forum members

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:46 pm

I have been toying with the idea of making the forums viewable to members only. This may promote more open discussions in a 'club' type of enviroment. We have a lot of members that are active in terms of viewing but not posting threads. With the current setup, theres no way to gauge this figure as most of the forums are viewable to anyone.

On the other hand, it might dissuade the casual surfer from browsing the forums, such people tend not to want to waste time signing up and will move off elsewhere.

These are your forums as much as they are mine so I welcome your comments on this topic.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedyboy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:38 pm

I think you should leave them open as it annoys me when i want to browse a forum for what ever reason and have to log in, Its Ok if your a regular but for some one off info.

R
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Daz » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:54 am

If i'm not mistaken you have it set up that if your not a member there are certain topics you can't view, i think this is a good idea but maybe one or two other topics should also fall under that blanket. :?: :?:

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:34 am

Daz wrote:If i'm not mistaken you have it set up that if your not a member there are certain topics you can't view

Correct Daz. Leaving just one forum open might be an idea alright, but I'm a bit of an all or nothing man myself ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zacob » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:22 pm

I'd agree with Daz.

Before I got my FTO I found this site by chance and it definetly helped me and got me interested in FTO's. It has a good buying guide that would help any potential buyers. If only 1 or 2 topics were open it might encourage more people to become members.

P.S
I think I'm probably one of those people who views the site every day but doesn't post much. But the main reason I don't post much is because if you search the site it has all info needed.Which is a good sign.
zacob
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:10 pm

zacob wrote:I'd agree with Daz.

I think I'm probably one of those people who views the site every day but doesn't post much. But the main reason I don't post much is because if you search the site it has all info needed.Which is a good sign.

Point taken zacob. In case theres any missunderstanding, the original post (was it really six months ago?!) wasn't intended to show non-posters\'low number' posters in a negative light, I was trying to come up with a way of gauging real interest in the site. Since then, I've made 6 of the 13 forums private which seems to work well in terms of keeping at least some potentially sensitive information private while at the same time allowing anyone view some of the more generic\technical forums.

Thanks for the feedback btw ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

fto site

Postby marc garrett » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:07 pm

i agree with daz on this one.im just a new member and although i think i would of went to the bother to register to view i know alot of people who would not.i think this way people see what the site is about and if they like it they can register.some more topics should be closed of i agree there to but closing it off fully will not help as it there for defeats the purpose which is to promote the fto to everone
marc garrett
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to Suggestions, announcements and updates