Fuel Economy from a Scooby STI or an EVO 7/8

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Fuel Economy from a Scooby STI or an EVO 7/8

Postby adrian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey,

Lets say around the 2003 year .... I have heard figures of 11MPG etc by some owners.... you reckon that's true?

Anyone any experience with these? I am looking at 4 door saloons at the moment, with the Accord Euro R out front.... but you can get an EVO 7 or 8 for the price or a 2003 Subaru Imprea STi for that.... but so much harder to run I guess?

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Are you doing the mileage to worry about running costs of an EVO?

An Evo will return single figure mpg if driven hard but under normal conditions you should see circa 20-23mpg.

It would be a no-brainer of a decision for me unless I was doing 25K miles plus per year - EVO 8 every time - the Type R Accord is a lovely car - its just not supercar quick like the EVO.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:01 pm

I am doing very little miles to be honest. Cycle to work (don't think I would in an EVO though). Work was meant to be moving out of Dublin so a longer commute, but I think that's cancelled now... so I am doing around 7,000 miles a year in my car. The family motor we only do about 11,000 miles in.

Still, no matter how many miles you do they all cost alot in an EVO though!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby adrian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Is the EVO 8 GSR is the smaller powered one... think they start at about 260BHP? I am guessing that would return much better economy then the FQ300 upwards?

Just the fact that petrol is going only one way, it might not be the smartest move to buy a 20MPG motor!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Mustang » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 pm

The euro R, and evo cars are in different leagues in terms of performance and running costs.
The odd oil change in the honda will keep it healthy. The evo will need engine and diff oil changes at regular intervals every few thousand or so. I expect the clutch is quite heavy and would be a pain to drive in traffic. You'd be looking at a 4 digit figure for ( regular) clutch and flywheel changes. I do repect these cars, but they are monumentally expensive to run (anybody that tells you different is neglecting their car or is in denial). They are also notoriously difficult to resell -which should be a deciding factor given the rate at which you change cars. Considering all of the above along with the slightly anti-social wide boy image of the evo, I'd sooner have the honda.
Last edited by Mustang on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Great post Mustang, and you are making points that are ringing through to me.

Mustang wrote:They are also notoriously difficult to resell -which should be a deciding factor given the rate at which you change cars.

Love that, so true! Yea, 9 cars in 9 years, oops!! I guess I am just a bit indecisive! This time it will be different, i promise. :D :D
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:11 pm

much as I love the idea of an evo, mustang makes compelling points....
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Other Cars