Is diesel heavier than petrol?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Is diesel heavier than petrol?

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:38 am

I stupidly stuck a few litres of diesel into an empty tank last week :oops: (Note to self: don't fill up the car with a baaad hangover). I then filled up with unleaded to dilute the diesel. I felt that the car had lost some power afterwards, but this may have been a result of using unleaded (I usually use SUL). I dropped a can of octane booster in the tank the following day and it seemed to improve things when putting the boot down.
The tank is nearly empty and I noticed this morning that unless I kept the foot on the accelerator, the car would lose power quicker than normal. Is it possible that diesel is heavier than petrol and is hanging around the bottom of the tank?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is diesel heavier than petrol?

Postby soc » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:15 am

CJ wrote:I stupidly stuck a few litres of diesel into an empty tank last week :oops: (Note to self: don't fill up the car with a baaad hangover). I then filled up with unleaded to dilute the diesel. I felt that the car had lost some power afterwards, but this may have been a result of using unleaded (I usually use SUL). I dropped a can of octane booster in the tank the following day and it seemed to improve things when putting the boot down.
The tank is nearly empty and I noticed this morning that unless I kept the foot on the accelerator, the car would lose power quicker than normal. Is it possible that diesel is heavier than petrol and is hanging around the bottom of the tank?

Ciaran

from what i remember of my college days working in an esso garage - depending on how much diesel you put in it could be a good idea to get the tank flushed - diesel is pretty bad for a petrol engine.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:20 am

I ended up putting in 3L of diesel and 'watered' it down with 50L of unleaded, I reckon that might do the job. Lets hope that a 6% diesel mix won't screw things up too much!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FTO Discussion