IBM Thinkpad Problems

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

IBM Thinkpad Problems

Postby steelroe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:41 pm

I needed an older Laptop to run a DOS based diagnostic program. so my brother had an old thinkpad lying around that had a problem charging the battery. So I took it all apart tonight and found the charging problem. It is now back togerther but when I boot it up I am getting an error as follows.

0271 Date and time error. 2 symbols appear on the screen. One is a "locked" symbol and the other is what I think is the symbol for a "diskette"

Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue. I think it is something to do with the BIOS

All help appreciated
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: IBM Thinkpad Problems

Postby steelroe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Should have said I had to remove the CMOs battery during disassembly.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 am

Loooks like the system has a supervisor password that neither me or my brother know. Anyone have the expertise to sort this for me, or alternatively anyone have a very cheap old laptop. Has to have rs232 connection. Program I am using is DOS based.

Hardware requirements from the manual
Kawasaki’s Diagnostic Software will operate on a wide range of laptop computers. It has been tested on laptops using 286, 386, 486, and Pentium processors. At least 400 kilobytes (K) of DOS memory must be available for the program to run. The screen fonts and colors will display well on monochromatic or color displays.
The program is provided on a single 1.44 Meg 31/2 inch floppy disk. This disk can be accessed by most newer IBM compatible laptop computers.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 am

Could you not just run the program from the command prompt?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gfalls » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:55 am

Download Ophcrack. XP or VISTA version. It comes as an ISO file, burn it and use it to boot the laptop. Its a LINUX O/S. When it boots you'll see a list of user names and passwords. One of them will be the BIOS password. Ophcrack is free BTW.
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 am

gfalls wrote:Download Ophcrack. XP or VISTA version. It comes as an ISO file, burn it and use it to boot the laptop. Its a LINUX O/S. When it boots you'll see a list of user names and passwords. One of them will be the BIOS password. Ophcrack is free BTW.

Gfalls,
Will this download only work on Vista and XP, the thinkpad is runnin Win 2000 Pro. It will not boot up at all, tells me there is a "date time error" and then looks for a password. Apparently I need to do this, but it is a bit involved.
http://sodoityourself.com/hacking-ibm-t ... -password/
Surely there is an easier way.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:59 am

Rory, Ophcrack works on Win2000 also.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 am

My problem is I dont think even a cd will boot. When I power up the thinkpad on the initial display there are 2 options Press F1 for bios setup or F12 for boot menu. Pro blem is if I press either I get an error and locked out.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:32 am

steelroe wrote:Apparently I need to do this, but it is a bit involved.

Involved and theres the possibility of bricking the laptop (mind you its not much use in its current form). Personally, I'd give it a go but only cos it appeals to my techie side. The circuit is very basic and is easily assembled, you'd want a slim tip for your soldering iron.

Rory, you should be able to get the app running in DOS compatibility mode under XP but there might be a bit of messing about involved. Another alternative is to copy the installer for your DOS program onto the hard drive, boot off a DOS boot CD and then install and run the application in native mode. You would need to be comfortable working with basic DOS commands in terms of moving around the file system.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:40 am

Downloaded OPHCRACK and extracted to CD. But as I thought it will not boot.
This is what needs to be done but alot of work for an old machine http://gatramu.wordpress.com/2008/07/24 ... -password/

Anyone have an old laptop lying around, you want to sell for peanuts. :D
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:28 am

CJ wrote:
steelroe wrote:Apparently I need to do this, but it is a bit involved.

Involved and theres the possibility of bricking the laptop (mind you its not much use in its current form). Personally, I'd give it a go but only cos it appeals to my techie side. The circuit is very basic and is easily assembled, you'd want a slim tip for your soldering iron.

Rory, you should be able to get the app running in DOS compatibility mode under XP but there might be a bit of messing about involved. Another alternative is to copy the installer for your DOS program onto the hard drive, boot off a DOS boot CD and then install and run the application in native mode. You would need to be comfortable working with basic DOS commands in terms of moving around the file system.

CJ

I would have all the bits and would give it a go but I do not have access to another Laptop with a RS232 connection, so I am snookered.
If you looks at this CJ the 4th post down http://www.pwctoday.com/f16/kadiag-com- ... 95180.html, is that what you are describing above. Would be great if it would work on my XP machine. I would have to buy USB to RS232 adaptor.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:34 am

Also just looked at the security chip on the MB and the one on my T22 has more pins.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gfalls » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:12 pm

steelroe wrote:Downloaded OPHCRACK and extracted to CD. But as I thought it will not boot.
This is what needs to be done but alot of work for an old machine http://gatramu.wordpress.com/2008/07/24 ... -password/

Anyone have an old laptop lying around, you want to sell for peanuts. :D

Did you burn ophcrack at the slowest speed of your cdrom? Should've said this earlier. Press F1 and make sure your CDROM is set to first boot. When you power up it should boot to CD. If it doesn't try tapping the F12 key (maybe different on your IBM) while its booting to, see if you get the boot option screen. Failing that... Good luck finding a replacement.. :(
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:17 pm

steelroe wrote:My problem is a cd will not boot. When I power up the thinkpad on the initial display there are 2 options Press F1 for bios setup or F12 for boot menu. Pro blem is if I press either I get an error and locked out.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 pm

steelroe wrote:If you looks at this CJ the 4th post down http://www.pwctoday.com/f16/kadiag-com- ... 95180.html, is that what you are describing above. Would be great if it would work on my XP machine. I would have to buy USB to RS232 adaptor.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, you can get the adaptors off ebay for a couple of quid. Worth a try....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:54 pm

rory..make sure your drives are seated properly.. I have a t42 with no screws holding the hdd caddy in place.. as a result it comes loose every so often, and when it does I get the "password" prompt as well.

its a long shot, but check it out.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Return to Computers and IT