Exhausts......

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Exhausts......

Postby soc » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:06 pm

Am starting to think of a new exhaust for my GR. Am totally undecided what kind to get (or whether or not to get one at all :().

1) Am undecided what type to get - reckon it has to be powerflow though cause they're cheaper than ordering from the UK.

2) Am afraid because I have a tip box the car will drone too much and sound crap. With the GS I had to get powerflow to quieten the exhaust they did cause it sounded crap when accelerating from low revs. I want something that is very raspy and metallic and not boomy.

Any opinions??

Btw, I remember taking a steel grey GR for a test drive and it had an aftermarket exhaust which sounded amazing...... very raspy, and the car felt very responsive and quick low down - it was a tip as well!! Maybe the exhaust made a big difference!!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:14 pm

Gearbox type doesn't (at least it shouldn't!) have any impact on exhaust noise. I have a Mongoose on the GPX Tip, I also had one on the manual GS, I highly recommend it. Whats the diff in price between a Mongoose and a Powerflow?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:57 pm

CJ wrote:Gearbox type doesn't (at least it shouldn't!) have any impact on exhaust noise. I have a Mongoose on the GPX Tip, I also had one on the manual GS, I highly recommend it. Whats the diff in price between a Mongoose and a Powerflow?

Ciaran

Is it loud when driving at low rpm in 3rd? Is there any drone at all?

And what about ripping it - is the sound boomy or a raspy metallic?

Only problem for me is that I wanted smaller tailpipes.... maybe camskills custom exhaust would be a good option (€530)....... mmmmmmm
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:53 pm

shane wrote:
Is it loud when driving at low rpm in 3rd? Is there any drone at all?

And what about ripping it - is the sound boomy or a raspy metallic?

Only problem for me is that I wanted smaller tailpipes.... maybe camskills custom exhaust would be a good option (€530)....... mmmmmmm

No drone in 3rd at low RPM, the standard exhaust is louder IMO.
When you put the boot down, it sounds as if the engine is making all the noise, strange I know. Theres certainly no 'wavin pipe hangin' out of a Fiesta' sound about it. TBH, the tailpipes on the Mongoose are not big at all, in fact thats one reason why I like the exhaust, its not imposing to look at. The next time you're near the Blanch direction, give me a shout and we'll go for a spin. You really should hear the exhaust if you're considering buying one.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:28 pm

CJ wrote:The next time you're near the Blanch direction, give me a shout and we'll go for a spin. You really should hear the exhaust if you're considering buying one.

Ciaran

Cheers Ciaran, can you pm me your mobile and I'll hold you to that :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Exhausts......

Postby Daz » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:05 am

The mongoose exhaust comes in two tail styles, the big 5" dustbin boy racer type of in a twin tail pipe which is similar looking just more oval to the standard zorst, me i have the twin mongoose and i've never looked back, sounds awesome, espically when the mivec kicks in :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to General FTO Discussion