Is FTO-Ireland Dead?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Is FTO-Ireland Dead?

Postby goz_83 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 am

Not just the forum, but the interest in the FTO in general?

I used to login here every day, sometimes a few times a day and there were always new posts to look at and respond to. The forum seems to have died though. There are less than 150 posts this year. Some newcomers no longer get a "hello :smt006 " anymore and a month can go by without a single post. There are no FTOs for sale on DD, or Gumtree and I had to check ebay UK to get any listings....of which there are only 5 on there today (a lovely dandelion yellow "car of the year" being one of them). I would post more, but as a non fto owner.....I have a lot less FTO stuff to talk about than I did before.

I think a real killer to this forum and many others has been the photo-bucket decision to stop hosting images on 3rd part sites. So much useful info has been lost and cannot be updated. If it was possible to edit older threads, I would add photos back into the threads I still have photos for.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Is FTO-Ireland Dead?

Postby Bernard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 pm

It's been getting quieter for a while now, I remember when not logging in for a day meant you had too many unread posts to read the following day.
Meets were easily organised with threads going on for pages and pages, before and after the meet itself.
I think part of the problem is the bottom dropping out of the FTO market, things like photobucket holding peoples photos to ransom doesn't help, facebook too has taken a lot of traffic.
I'm happy to keep the site going though, even if it's only for the odd bit of chat here and there and I still think the FTO will make something of a comeback.

As for editing old threads, there's no reason that you can't.
It's just a pity we can't host the photos ourselves.

Pic for nostalgia...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:28 pm

I was thinking of another forum where old threads can't be edited. When I get some time, I will try to replace some of the missing photos from the price of perfection thread. I think it's the longest thread on the forum.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:57 pm

Speaking of the forum being a bit quiet these days, CJ had some FTO-Ireland business cards printed a few years back, I've redesigned them and had more printed.
They're handy for sticking under wipers as flyers, if you or anyone else want some just PM me your address.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Probably won't get too much use Bernard as I only see about one FTO a year. Post a pic though - I made the previous flyers I think.

Thread hijack. Bernard let me know if you want 3 FTOOC calendars from 2003 04 05 for your shrine. I have them here but am doing a clean out.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Kace wrote:Probably won't get too much use Bernard as I only see about one FTO a year. Post a pic though - I made the previous flyers I think.

Probably true Kace, that just means I have a few years supply.
Nice quality from Vistaprint though and look better in the flesh...

Calendars sound good and would be a welcome addition much appreciated.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 am

a lot of the forums ''died'' in the last 2-3 years ( Octane,modifiedmotorz, most of the Owners clubs , DTDIRL the list can go on ) and there's a lot of factors to it

The need for more practical cars, high insurance costs and the impossible journey to get them insured, low numbers of actual cars still in top notch , lack of interest , people shifting to the likes of facebook to find advice and so on . I'd say the next logic step for these beauties is the classic scene ..so probably in the next 5-10 years we will start seeing some good nice restored Ftos and other Jap cars (RX7,s DC2-s , Evos , supras ,Skylines and the list can go on ) .

I'd love to see a few of the club cars in Terenure Clasic car show in the near future
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby altf113 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Hello i am a new member and wanted to open this topic just in case the owners of the web site didn't already know, the website is being blocked by a lot of anti viruses including AVG, i had to disable my anti virus to get in here, i am sure that if this was fixed you guys would get a lot more users to visit, i recently bought a FTO and wanted to get more information on the car and if in the future have any problems i can have support, but anyways i am not from ireland i am currently in New York hopefully The website being blocked can be resolved.

EDIT: Topics merged and font size reduced.
Bernard
altf113

Postby Bernard » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,
It's something we're looking into... watch this space.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FTO Discussion