Braking noise

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Braking noise

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:19 pm

Hi Folks

After a fast driving session on Paddys weekend, I now have this mild screeching sound from the offside front disk. This only occurs when gradually braking to a stop (ie. in traffic), if I stomp on the brakes at speed I hear nothing. I took the caliper assembly apart on Saturday, all looked fine and there was still plenty of compound on the pads. Put it all back together, went out for a spin and the screech was still there :( Anyone any ideas on what else might be causing this?

Cheers

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Braking noise

Postby Daz » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:28 pm

I Had this before the solution was some copper grease on the back of the pads, I'm not saying its the same as yours but it certinally sounds like it

Daz...
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:37 pm

Could be it Daz, there was very little copperslip on the pads, I'll give it a shot and let you know how I get on.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:48 pm

Ciaran did you change the pads lately. It it a screeching noise or a heavy grating/juddering noise. Does if feel like the brakes are not gripping correctly. I believe your pads could be glazed up from hard braking. I had this problem with pads I bought in a factors. They were suppose to be excellent quality but when overheated from hard braking they glazed up. I noticed that when braking down at high speed there was no problem but when coming to a halt there was a grating from the pads and they seemed to slip on the disk. the noise on mine was fairly loud not at all like. The only solution is to change the pads for a better quality.
Let me know how you get on.
Rory.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:20 pm

I'm going to copperslip the pads up over the next day or two, if that fails, then its a new set of Pagid pads for me :wink: I notice that the edge of the compound on one of the pads had started to crumble so I reckon they're shagged.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:11 pm

I copperslipped up the back of the pads last weekend and no change. New set of pads methinks :?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:13 am

Strange one that :? I really would have thought that would have done it, glazed pads should have cleaned up by now so that shouldn't be it, You say there is plenty of pad left on them so it wouldn't be the squeal strip saying your low. It will be intresting to see if new pads are the cure

CJ wrote:I copperslipped up the back of the pads last weekend and no change. New set of pads methinks :?

Ciaran
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:55 am

Ciaran,

What brand of pads are on the car at the moment. I would be nearly 99% sure that the pads are the problem. Some brands of pads when overheated have a graetly reduced stopping power.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:27 pm

The pads are standard Mitsi ones, I'm going to swap the left (noisey) and right pads over on the weekend, that way if the noise is heard on the RHS, I'll know that its the pads that are shot.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:24 pm

Right, I swapped out the standard disks for a set of BDs and Pagid pads and it seems that I'm still getting the noise when braking slowly to a stop. Anyone any other ideas on this one?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:45 pm

CJ wrote:Right, I swapped out the standard disks for a set of BDs and Pagid pads and it seems that I'm still getting the noise when braking slowly to a stop. Anyone any other ideas on this one?

Ciaran

I should have mentioned the strange chamfer on all four of the old pads, check this out => http://www.fto-ireland.com/images/misc/pad.jpg

Any ideas guys?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:10 am

Ciaran,

Just looked at the pictureof the pad. Is it worn badly? Looks like the corners are worn from the picture. Look very clean and smooth for a pad that was rubbing offf a disk. You don't have a side on view by any chance.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical