Clicking/ Knocking!!!!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Clicking/ Knocking!!!!

Postby finers » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:00 am

Recently i have noticed a knocking/ clicking noise coming from the front on full lock when i turn right or left from take off or driving slowly,, did a bit of searching and heard it might be the CV joints?

I have access to a garage so might get my friend to help with any part replacing ill need,, the noise is very noticeable when at full lock and going slow,, My Car is essential for getting to college,, is it safe to drive at the moment if i take it handy? :shock:

Help :(
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby gt94 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:56 am

Had a cv joint go on the passenger side in my gt starlet awhile back.On full lock it was like a ticking sound very loud the cv joint cost 75 euro.You get a tube of grease with the cv joint and a c clip to keep it on.Would advise you to get more grease as the tube that comes with it is nowhere near enough.I used castrol moly grease.Its a bit of a job to get the old one off.Best change the cv boot while your at it save you a repeat job if the old boot is torn or worn.hope this helps :D
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Re: Clicking/ Knocking!!!!

Postby Marie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:54 am

finers wrote:Recently i have noticed a knocking/ clicking noise coming from the front on full lock when i turn right or left from take off or driving slowly,, did a bit of searching and heard it might be the CV joints?

I have access to a garage so might get my friend to help with any part replacing ill need,, the noise is very noticeable when at full lock and going slow,, My Car is essential for getting to college,, is it safe to drive at the moment if i take it handy? :shock:

Help :(

Just make sure you know what your doing, once upon a time many many years ago I had my very first car a micra! :lol: any way had to get a new cv joint & at the time I didn't really give a crap about the car so let 2 of my friends at it! They ruined the car! Was driving the car next thing the wheel came off the drive shaft! Just be careful!
When you're good, you're good....... but when you're great you're ME
Marie

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:40 am

It may be that just the CV boot is split and has no grease left on it - you need to get it up on a ramp and examine it.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby finers » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:55 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:It may be that just the CV boot is split and has no grease left on it - you need to get it up on a ramp and examine it.

Thanks MyFeckin,
Ehh had a quick look underneath and the booths seem perfect??,, going to jack it up later when i get home and examine them properly(whats the bets it'll be rain'n),, its just at take off when the wheels locked like a slight screetch...screeth....screeth,, best i can decribe it,, is the only solution basically to take of the CV joints and examine them??

LOL,Marie thats why im doing it with my friend he used to be a mechanic,, last thing i want is the wheel to fly off as im drivin into DCU waving to my friends :lol:
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to FTO Technical