How bad is it really?

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

How bad is it really?

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 am

Just wondering how bad things really are at home with work and everything else?
We're not planning on coming home just yet but my visa is up in June and its unlikely I'll be applying for an extension, I've been checking the news and business news every single day for a glimmer of hope of things getting some bit better and for something to come home to, but it doesnt look good according to the media at least. From the mother's point of view the world is coming to an end, then again I suppose country people are like that, bad news is something to talk about, so that always gets brought up in conversation instead of positive stuff. She told me the budget is going to be killer in December, tax is going to go through the roof, jobs are going to be cut to shreds, etc, etc. But on the other hand I've heard from others that things arent as bad as people make out. And according to the media the trend is set to possibly rise in the first quarter of next year, though thats a tough maybe, but things should start rising by the end of 2010, and reflect back on the public by the next year.
What are peoples thoughts, is something happening and is there recovery in sight? Or is it as people are saying and totally gone to pieces with no easing up for years to come?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: How bad is it really?

Postby CJ » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:43 am

Brief retort - the December budget will be tough but what other choice do we have (/start debate) given the circumstances? Things are bad relative to 5 years ago but they could be worse (80's anyone?). I hate to use the term but 'green shoots' are starting to appear slowly. Remember, the Irish are a pack of moaners, we love a good collective moan. I'm inclined to keep my mouth shut and be look forward with a modicum of positivity (despite impending redundancy). I tend to have a pragmatic outlook with a touch of realism thrown in.

What was it that crowd D:ream said back in the 90's...?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:17 pm

I think everyone will have a different answer for you on this MJ.
My background wouldn't be too dissimilar to your own, and our company has gone from about 90 just over a year ago to 34 now, having let go another 6 only 2 weeks ago, so things still not quite bottomed out from our point of view. If you were thinking of coming back to the construction industry as it was traditionally in this country, I'd say forget about it in the next couple of years at least.
That being said, I was at a course to do with energy management and efficiency a week ago. The scope of people there was varied, we were nearly the only ones there from a construction consultancy background, and it was a breath of fresh air to be around people who were in other industries (pharma/tech) who weren't being as badly effected the recession.
No doubt the budget is going to effect a lot of people, but I think a rebalancing of the public sector is badly needed and personally I welcome it. SIPTU are talk of a preemptive strike (which really pi$$es me off, the idea of something similar happening in private job is laughable), everyone knows that cuts have to be made, but no-one want it to effect them. There's going to be some serious unrest in this country (particularly in the public sector) until people wake up and realise we have been living outside our means for years.
What annoy's me most about the public sector is that the people I know working there on the front line on what I would admit is only average pay, are the ones who are most accepting of the situation, and appreciate their jobs. Its the over populated, over-paid and underworked upper tiers that now fear their cushy numbers are under threat, and are loud mouth enough to scare monger the general mass into strike action. :smt078
Anywho, I don't think things are as bad as your mother portrays, but no doubt at times its easy to become demoralised. Construction wise, I think recovery is still a way off, but thinks won't (and shouldn't) ever go back to the way it was. Elsewhere, I still think it'll be toward the end of next year before we see any noticeable upturn, but I think it is coming, and opportunities will present themselves for those who aren't still feeling sorry for themselves.
That's my poorly educated take on it anyway. :)
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Mustang » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 pm

CJ wrote: I'm inclined to keep my mouth shut and be look forward with a modicum of positivity (despite impending redundancy). I tend to have a pragmatic outlook with a touch of realism thrown in.

CJ

Are you personally in the firing line CJ? Sorry to hear that, if that's the case.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Mustang wrote:Are you personally in the firing line CJ? Sorry to hear that, if that's the case.

I sure am, no one is immune!While jobs are thin on the ground across the board, IT is better placed than most. I'm hopeful that an opportunity will turn up, I don't plan to sit around waiting for the right job to come along. Mrs. CJ was made redundant earlier in the year and I'm soon follow in her footsteps. I must admit that its difficult to contemplate having to rely on state benefit to help pay your mortgage when you've a new baby on the way. I could get hung up on it but I'm not - I know things will change for the better. Changing times creates opportunities....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 pm

CJ wrote:
Mustang wrote:Are you personally in the firing line CJ? Sorry to hear that, if that's the case.

I sure am, no one is immune!While jobs are thin on the ground across the board, IT is better placed than most. I'm hopeful that an opportunity will turn up, I don't plan to sit around waiting for the right job to come along. Mrs. CJ was made redundant earlier in the year and I'm soon follow in her footsteps. I must admit that its difficult to contemplate having to rely on state benefit to help pay your mortgage when you've a new baby on the way. I could get hung up on it but I'm not - I know things will change for the better. Changing times creates opportunities....

CJ

Oh no, that's terrible sorry to hear that :( I hope the cloud has a silver lining
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Really sorry to hear that too CJ. Your attitude is spot on though, and I completely agree that there are opertunities for those willing to adapt, and that these will come along at an increasing rate. I hope you don't get let go, but I've a feeling you'll cope either way.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Firstly, CJ, really sorry to hear that, its sucks but you've got the right attitude towards it and like you say the IT sector is one of the few remaining that seems to still have a few opportunities out there. Grace's brother got a job last week in it and one of my mates has an interview next week with someone so things are not the end of the world there.
Secondly, thanks for the replies, I can breathe a bit of a sigh of relief so, the way it was being put to me is that we shouldn't even consider coming back for another 5 years or we'll die of hunger and starvation and the potatoes are all dying and tis all the English's fault and we have to catch the next packed boat to America, you catch my drift I think. I don't really plan on going back to construction, if I get something fine, if not, then I'll adapt, humans have evolved from apes over thousands of years so this is just another mini-evolution. I have asked my previous boss to keep me in mind if they have anything when I return, and I plan on asking my boss here if there is any chance I can do contract work from overseas when I go, if I don't ask then I wont get.
I don't plan on coming back and looking around me and being convinced that its all bad, and going on the dole, and scraping through, no, if I don't get work then I'll live at home for a while, do work at home or around the place, go and ask the local mechanic if he needs help, would do it for free just to learn, keep an open mind. I think too many people are taught in one area and don't want to move out of it cause they spent so long in college or 'wasted' all those years learning. Thats a mistake. And I'm not going to make it.
One thing I have learned while over here is the value of money though, the wages here are shocking, and I've totally had to change everything, but trying to pay an Irish car loan, and rent over here takes a massive hit out of it every week. I think I'll appreciate real wages when I get them again, they'll be no complaining about the Christmas bonus or salary rise, (not that I used anyway but loads in my office used, after all its a bonus not part of your contract), and saving will be so much easier.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:39 pm

Dragonheart wrote: humans have evolved from apes over thousands of years so this is just another mini-evolution.

You've a long way to go yet Marty :wink:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:46 am

Dont we all Bernard...................

Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:14 am

Dragonheart wrote:Dont we all Bernard...................

Oh, burn... :smt043
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Bernard » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Ahem...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Man that picture never ceases to freak me out! :)
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:32 pm

:whs
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Epic burn!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby fox » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:37 pm

CJ wrote:

CJ

Sorry for being nosy, but did that turn better for you CJ ?
It's a great attitude you have :)
I'm acutally in a close position and looking for new job, company didn't make it. And even though I did a lot for them for last 5 years, developed loads of different IT sollutions for them. Still they asked me if I would volountarly take redundancy among 9 other people. Nobody's irreplaceable :)
So hope it turned good for you.
And I'm hoping that eventually it will turn good for me. Attitude is the most important thing. And have to keep looking :)

Rgds
1997 FTO GX
fox
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:43 pm

fox wrote:Sorry for being nosy, but did that turn better for you CJ ?

Not as such, I was made redundant about a month ago. I'm taking some time out to concentrate on my studies and network with the right people in terms of new employment opportunities. I've had quite a few calls in relation to contract work so I have options if my 'plan A' fails to materialise.

If anyone hears of companies looking for an IT Manager, feel free to point them in my direction! (http://www.ciaranjay.com).

fox wrote:And I'm hoping that eventually it will turn good for me. Attitude is the most important thing

Indeed it will. Whats your area of speciality? I'll keep an eye out for you, feel free to pm me your profile.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Sorry to hear that CJ. Nice profile you have there - no doubt you will get sorted with something soon and as you say, there are probably good options for you on the contracting market too.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wildhound » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:24 am

Just noticed you did electronic engineering in ITT CJ, same as myself. Although you were about 10 years ahead of me :smt002
[2009] 1995 GPX Manual - Silver (With added WIN™)
[2007] 1995 GPX Manual - Army Camo Green
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Impressive CJ, very impressive. I think in the current arena we're all in, it's all about being open to new things. As a younger person without a whole lot of experience that a lot easier obviously, but I'm certainly not the only person to get a job in the depth of the recession. Thankfully I still have it and I'll just have to keep at it. I find that it's also about making yourself a lot more employable than Mr. Joe Soap sitting next to you in the interview room. Some people are just better at working than others.

Hope you find what it is you're looking for CJ.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Return to Off Topic