Fitting larger Alloys to FTO

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Fitting larger Alloys to FTO

Postby Viper » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:02 pm

I was in a motor store at the weekend looking for a new set of Alloys (17x8 or 18x8) to replace the current 15's, and was told by the guy at the counter that an FTO cannot take so large a wheel without first having its wheel arches modified!! Is this really true, I mean to look at it there seems to be acres of clearance in there!
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:21 pm

well i have 18's, 225/40/18's on mine, slight rubbing on the front on full lock but it's only rubbing on the lining which isn;t too bad, and there are a few boys on the english site with 19's....
plus i have mine lowered with a kit on it so it's not a problem at all.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Fitting larger Alloys to FTO

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:37 pm

Viper wrote:I was in a motor store at the weekend looking for a new set of Alloys (17x8 or 18x8) to replace the current 15's, and was told by the guy at the counter that an FTO cannot take so large a wheel without first having its wheel arches modified!! Is this really true, I mean to look at it there seems to be acres of clearance in there!

I have mine lowered on 18's and it ain't a problem, it depends upon which profile and width of tyre you use as to weather you'll get any rubbing on full lock.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Viper » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:23 am

Thanks for the help lads. Maybe thats all that he meant about the modifications... pity though, he just talked himself out of a deal on the day!
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:29 am

Viper wrote:Thanks for the help lads. Maybe thats all that he meant about the modifications... pity though, he just talked himself out of a deal on the day!

A lowered FTO will take 17's with 215's easy and requires no modifications at all - there is 100's of the UK boys running 17's with 205 and 215 tyres and no problems..... like Daz says you can also run 18's without problems but it depends on the profile and width of tyre
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion