Leather

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Leather

Postby Dave » Fri May 16, 2003 11:05 am

Daz,
while you're on here, how much did you pay for the leather in total? getting over there, staying and all that? how long did it take to do?

tia
dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 16, 2003 11:10 am

I see a retrim on the cards ;)
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri May 16, 2003 11:18 am

well thinking about it, i need to get one of the seats done anyways, i might be able to get a guy over here to do it, just depends on how competitive he is, he would have to be, cos these precision trimming boys seem to know what they are doing!
i still have to get a price from them, and then price the ferry over and some where to stay and all that crap but hell would it be worth it!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri May 16, 2003 11:36 am

Dave wrote:well thinking about it, i need to get one of the seats done anyways, i might be able to get a guy over here to do it, just depends on how competitive he is, he would have to be, cos these precision trimming boys seem to know what they are doing!
i still have to get a price from them, and then price the ferry over and some where to stay and all that crap but hell would it be worth it!

Dave,

Have you tried cartronics? I've a mate who was quoted eur1400 all in for a new fiesta and that includes getting all the patterns made up - cause its a new car they have to do the patterns from scratch. He's getting it done for his mother as a 50th birthday present and he (apparently) is getting top of the range BMW leather (from germany) so I'd imagine you could get the FTO done for cheaper. You can email them on cartronics@oceanfree.net or phone then on 0872577907. The guys name is Gerry Nolan. You could see if he'll do a group discount cause I'd be interested too.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Leather

Postby Daz » Fri May 16, 2003 12:43 pm

It cost £840.00 stg for it to be done which is about €1,200.00 cost of a place to stay was free as my parents live there and the cost over was €260.00 but i was going over for a break and JAE anyway and it took 2-3 days. At the time the best quote i got was €3,500.00 but the were using the foot and mouth thing, as an excuse to push up the price

Dave wrote:Daz,
while you're on here, how much did you pay for the leather in total? getting over there, staying and all that? how long did it take to do?

tia
dave
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Dave » Fri May 16, 2003 12:52 pm

yeah i thought it would cost around 1500 to get the car over there and done, but it's worth it in the end!! did you give them what you wanted done before you get over or do it when you got there?
the guy that maybe could do it over here, quoted a guy that i work with 1800 yoyos for an e class merc!
but if there's only a couple of hundred quid in the difference i think i'll still go over to precision, at least they've done it before!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Fri May 16, 2003 1:01 pm

Yea i spoke to him before i went over and explained what i wanted just to make it easier.

My advise to you is if you are going over to get it done go over the wknd of JAE take your car to him and leave it with him that wknd(ok so you won't have it for the show but....) you will be able to contact another owner over in England (thru smartgroups or jcars) who will be able to give you a lift to JAE and you can camp out and enjoy that wknd which costs very little and then get a lift back up to get your car after the wknd

Dave wrote:yeah i thought it would cost around 1500 to get the car over there and done, but it's worth it in the end!! did you give them what you wanted done before you get over or do it when you got there?
the guy that maybe could do it over here, quoted a guy that i work with 1800 yoyos for an e class merc!
but if there's only a couple of hundred quid in the difference i think i'll still go over to precision, at least they've done it before!!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby soc » Fri May 16, 2003 3:01 pm

or you could try and source some leather seats from a write off and get some custom subframes made up. i've been thinking of this for a while now and might try to find some plush leather sports seats from a crashed bmw or something similar..... probably work out cheaper in the end.... mmmm, i quite fancy some heated seats :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri May 16, 2003 3:07 pm

i'd probably end up getting trashed and loose my lift back up :(
but it does sound like a plan alright, i know a guy going over for trax so i might go then!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue May 20, 2003 10:28 am

i got a quote from car-tronics.... 1750 excluding VAT :shock: so they're out the window..
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue May 20, 2003 12:05 pm

Dave wrote:i got a quote from car-tronics.... 1750 excluding VAT :shock: so they're out the window..

jaysus, that's pretty expensive! they won't be getting much business with those prices!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue May 20, 2003 12:08 pm

not from me anyways! i'll keep ye posted on the other guy that i might have in galway, and i got another contact through the smart groups listing for a crowd that might just send over the leather and i could fit it myself!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed May 21, 2003 12:10 pm

Got a quote from precision trimming in the UK, £900stg for the whole lot... works out at just under €1300,not including ferry's or accomodation!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed May 21, 2003 1:22 pm

As much as I think that the FTO's seat covers aren't great, I'd be hard pressed to spend that sort of money to recover them. Why not take off the originals, stick 'em in the washing machine (it has been done) and spend the cash on a nice set of alloys and rubber, a kick ass stereo system or some other bits and pieces for the car? At the end of the day its up to you, but I can't see you getting the job done for under €1200.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed May 21, 2003 2:07 pm

yeah it's going to be a tough choice, i already have a kit and a set of 18"'s, but seat covers are feck i have a good bit of wear on one f them already, i got a few more contacts through smart groups and see what prices i come back with then it'll be a toss up between the leather or some serious sounds...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed May 21, 2003 3:30 pm

CJ wrote:As much as I think that the FTO's seat covers aren't great, I'd be hard pressed to spend that sort of money to recover them. Why not take off the originals, stick 'em in the washing machine (it has been done) and spend the cash on a nice set of alloys and rubber, a kick ass stereo system or some other bits and pieces for the car? At the end of the day its up to you, but I can't see you getting the job done for under €1200.

Ciaran

feck the leather - you could get some top quaility reclining buckets for eur800 and then rip out the back seats (not like their much use anyway) and lash in a couple of subs!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed May 21, 2003 3:46 pm

and then i could send a pic into maxed.ie... :wink:
ah i think the leather is the way to go...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed May 21, 2003 4:09 pm

just got another price from a guy in galway, 1750 all in so looks like i'll be taking the boat across, for just under 1300 yoyo's, which will only get better as the exchange rate increases!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Wed May 21, 2003 6:32 pm

Yeah I'm with Ciaran on this one. As nice as the leather is, it just comes across as far too expensive for me. Like to have them but not at that price. Especially considering that if you decide to change your car you won't get that price on top of your car. At least with a good stereo system or something along that line, you can transfer it across or sell it seperate to your car and get a good price. Can't see that happening with the seats.

Each to their own though!
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dave » Thu May 22, 2003 8:31 am

ah i think i'll pack it in, unless the ball and chain decides to give me a super christmas present! i got prices on ferries and accomodation and the just under 1300 yoyos has gone up another 4-5 hundred!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Thu May 22, 2003 2:20 pm

I think that could be a very wise decision. Leather seats are one thing, but €2k for them are another thing. Espcially when you are not guaranteed to get anything back for them when you sell.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dave » Thu May 22, 2003 2:25 pm

true but selling may not be an option anymore... i've already pumped a load of money into it already and it would be a waste to sell it on!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu May 22, 2003 5:02 pm

Dave wrote:true but selling may not be an option anymore... i've already pumped a load of money into it already and it would be a waste to sell it on!

which is why i've been reluctant to put much cash into mine - small mods only, dials, dash panel etc. - exhaust was an exception that just had to be done. i'd really love a set of really wide 17's with 235/245 tyres, lash them on with some spacers and get the arches flared slightly to accomodate them, but i just can't do it cause i don't know how long i'll be keeping the car.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu May 22, 2003 5:17 pm

ah i intend in keeping the car really, once i have it paid off i'll look into another baby, maybe a supra twin turbo or something along those lines, then play around with the fto!!
i've gotten another couple of prices in the uk and they've ranged from 800-1300 sterling so going abroad may not be as cheap as once thought!!
it wouldn't be so bad if i could get it done up north but the whole ferry and accomodation thing is the killer...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion