polishing drill attachment

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

polishing drill attachment

Postby CJ » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:44 pm

Anyone know were you can get a drill attachment that acts as a polisher\buffer? I saw one a few years ago and havn't come across one since.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

polisher

Postby marc garrett » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:07 pm

yeah
they are fairly easy to pick up but the only thing is they usually come in box sets so you end up paying a bit for them.i had one i got it in the local hardware store in newbridge"woddies"be care ful if ya are useing it for poishing your car as ya can scratch it( learnt the hard way)
marc garrett
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby JD » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:24 pm

CJ did you try McQuillans in Blanch. they normally have every type of electrical tool attachement.
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby pergau » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:23 pm

B&Q had polishers a while ago for about €20. Are they any good?
Argos has a range on their UK website from £9.99

If you're serious about polishing your car (as opposed to waxing - have you seen the threads about this on the UK site), shouldn't you invest in a proper bit of kit and if you're not serious, what's wrong with a tin of turtle wax and a pair of retired underpants as a polishing rag : )
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:32 pm

pergau wrote:B&Q had polishers a while ago for about €20. Are they any good?
Argos has a range on their UK website from £9.99

I saw one in Halfords on Saturday for about 9 quid, good value but I have my doubts that it would last any length of time, you get what you pay for I suppose.

pergau wrote:and if you're not serious, what's wrong with a tin of turtle wax and a pair of retired underpants as a polishing rag : )

You can't beat an old pair of boxers for wax application (as long as you're not wearing them at the time that is ;))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:55 am

CJwrote
Anyone know were you can get a drill attachment that acts as a polisher\buffer?

Marc Garrett wrote
be care ful if ya are useing it for poishing your car as ya can scratch it( learnt the hard way)

CJ, I've been doing a bit of research on this topic myself and based on what I've found I'm inclined to agree with Marc. Refer to the post by Ron Byrne
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... =polishing

The link goes into some detail on this matter. A polisher with a circular motion, such as a drill with polishing fitting, is apparently quite difficult to master, and in untrained hands can damage the paint work. For the unexperienced, a polisher with an orbital motion is recommended, as they are virtually foolproof, apparently!
You have been warned.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:11 pm

Mustang wrote:A polisher with a circular motion, such as a drill with polishing fitting, is apparently quite difficult to master, and in untrained hands can damage the paint work. For the unexperienced, a polisher with an orbital motion is recommended, as they are virtually foolproof, apparently!
You have been warned.

Good advice Mustang, however, as an untrained fool with a professional approach to learning the hard way, if feel I could turn my inexperiened hands to most things that involve both drills and FTOs ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:38 am

CJ wrote
I could turn my inexperiened hands to most things that involve both drills and FTOs

"The FTO Massacre" coming to a cinema near you soon! :)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic