FTO2000 Type R meet

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

FTO2000 Type R meet

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Had a bit of a mini-meet on Sunday with me and Bernard's FTO's, Tom's S2000, and Grace's DC5. Drove each others cars, good way to get a feel for what they were like, and what (if anything) our own was lacking. A nice interesting day and totally on the spur of the moment. Anyway, heres my reaction of the cars;

(I'll start with my the FTOs)

FTO GPX (Tiptronic) vs FTO GPX (manual)
Even though I love the tip gearbox, and the smoothness of the changes, it is totally obvious after driving Bernard's (manual), that the tip gearbox takes a lot of the power from the engine. Bernard pointed out, and I agree even though I never noticed till I drove his, that when you change down and floor it, it seems to rev before the actually picking up speed, obviously this is where the power is lost, with the manual you get the immediate pick up. We also found out that in the manual when you press the accelerator in 4th and 5th, there is a much more obvious pick up in power than the tip. I still think the tip box is fantastic, and I couldn't fault it, its great for driving and you really get a feel for sports mode when you get used to it, personally I never drive it in auto mode, and love the gear selection and the ease of it. But I reckon you lose maybe 20hp through the transmission, don't know if this would be a correct assumption but it feels close to that anyway.

S2000
Gearbox is absolutely unreal, really quick short shifter, great location of the gear stick and handbrake, gives a real sporty feel to the driving of it. Cockpit is snug and surprisingly has no wind noise, which I was expecting out of it cause of the soft top. The note from the engine is unreal, especially as the engine is right next to you, (close enough anyway). Going into turns the car is stuck to the road, feels like you could power straight into them at whatever speed you want and she'll take them. Unfortunately we got stuck behind some back markers while it was my turn to drive so I didnt get the full experience from it but still got enough to enjoy it immensely.

Integra DC5 Type R
For a car thats 220bhp, it feels a lot more once V-Tec kicks in at 6200rpm, the only little thing is that you dont get to enjoy vtec as it kicks in so late, compared to mivec which is 5500rpm. But when it does kick, it really kicks, feels like there is something huge pushing you from behind when you hit it, and has a great noise to it, unlike the civic type r's from the mid 90's where vtec sounds like the engine wants to die, (thats my personal opinion so sorry if I insult anyone).

Overall, mine was obviously the slowest out of the 4, largely down to the tip transmission, but I did like looking in my rear view mirror and seeing it behind me, nice to see what your own car looks like on the road. Thanks to Bernard, Tom, and Grace for swopping cars with everyone and giving a feel for what each car feels like.

Few photos;

Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: FTO2000 Type R meet

Postby Danny Kierans » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:23 pm

sounds like a good day, notting better then hands on experience.
My new site http://www.turbowizz.com
The Kandy FTO maker. :)
Playstation id= danny-jnr-why

NO-1GR MANUAL 96|NO-2GR TIP 94|NO-3 GPVR MANUAL 97|
Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby threediamonds » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Feels weird seeing your own car coming on behind you but.....Got to drive a manual fto for the first time (thanks to Bernard) and i must say i really enjoyed it! Very different drive to the tip version, i nearly forgot sometimes that i had to change and not just flick i also kept looking for 6th gear (as in my car)!!
I also had the immense pleasure of driving the S2000 (thanks to Tom). I loved it!!!! So much so an hour after Tom left i was getting insurance quotes and checking out hard tops in the Uk only thing is V.R.T is a joke but where theres a will.......

Overall great day. Wish id know we were doing it- id have cleaned her up a bit!
Dublin- Home of Guinness, Dáil Éireann and square wheels.
threediamonds
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby TopCat » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:11 am

Great pics MJ, and looking forward to seeing the Bernard’s video too.

Have to say I really enjoyed this meet. Probably due to a combination of reasons, firstly because it was completely impromptu, secondly because I haven’t been at a meet in a while, and thirdly the fact I got a decent drive of some great cars. The peoples were good fun too. :)

My thoughts on the other cars...

DC5 – Very tight, fun car. Loads of space inside, so it actually feels like a very practical car compared to the FTO’s (and obviously compared to the S2000). Comfortable too, but when you give her the boot it’s a different machine. As per MJ’s comments, the vtec is very potent, you really feel the extra grunt, and its more pronounced than in my own car. Can lead to a bit of torque steer, but small price to pay for the power. Was very impressed with it overall.

FTO (Tiptronic) – Drove this car briefly around town before, and to be honest, was very underwhelmed by the tip box. However, after taking it for a proper spin on Sunday, I’m much, much more impressed. Clearly when I drove it in town I couldn’t really give it full throttle, and it felt a bit laggy. A bit more open roads though and I see MJ as taught (literally) the tip box well. It will drop as low as 2nd and much quicker than I remembered, and off you go. And you can do it manually too, but I found full auto fine as it was picking the exact same gears I would. Ok, if I was to going buying another FTO in the morning, it would still be a manual, but I completely get why people defend the Tip so strongly now. Oh, and as always, the exhaust note from that car is still one of my favourites of all FTO’s.

And yes, unfortunately the VRT is ridiculous! Had looked into that option myself but pushed the nicest cars out of my price range.

Nearly laughed at MJ’s comment above on his being the slowest, it’s still a quick, quick car, and in everyday driving, I’d say there’s little between these cars. What is interesting is the different way you need to drive these cars to get the most out of them, they all have their own personalities and that’s what make them so fun I guess.

Thanks to MJ, Grace and Bernard for a great spin and good laugh.

(And not to worry Grace, my car was in need of a good wash too. Next time well get some pro's to clean them for us! :wink: )
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Bernard » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 pm

TopCat wrote: looking forward to seeing the Bernard’s video too.

Patience grasshopper, The Bernard will provide :D
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 am

Nice idea for a meet - I'd like to have added the Zed and maybe an RX7/RX8 to the mix for comparison.
Good to see from the photos that a tastily and lightly modded FTO can certainly hold its own looks wise with more modern Honda opposition.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 am

Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:11 am

:lol:

Nice video and good co-ordination - though was half expecting some grandma driving micra driver to come into the car park half way through and drive straight over the camera. :smt005
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm

:ll very nice. Love dragonhearts tune on the fto
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby CJ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Great pics and comparative analysis guys, I'm digging the camera angle in the video!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:27 pm

CJ wrote:...I'm digging the camera angle in the video!

Twas only Bernard's camera so thought we'd chance it! :lol:

Have to say, every time I see the title of the thread I keep thinking of those rust buckets with the go faster stickers on the back!
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:47 pm

TopCat wrote:....Have to say, every time I see the title of the thread I keep thinking of those rust buckets with the go faster stickers on the back!

They really exist you know - I used to actually own an FTO2000 Type R! It was the rare manual version.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 pm

...and the first to see bought it :D
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:00 am

Was that the one with the 220bhp??

Great vid Ber. Had the speakers turned up for that one. I changed into second way too soon though, should have gone over the camera in first. We thought we had another Jap car to include while we were filming from a visitor to the pier, but somehow it didnt seem right to include a Corolla in the shots.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wildhound » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:25 am

Funny thing is the GTO was the GT3000 outside of Japan. So really, FT2000 isn't that silly.

FT2000 GPvR isn't a bad name. ;) That's what I think of every time I see the thread title.
[2009] 1995 GPX Manual - Silver (With added WIN™)
[2007] 1995 GPX Manual - Army Camo Green
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby elaine » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 am

Look's like ye had a bit of Fun.
elaine
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Sebastian » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Had the pleasure yesterday to take Tom's S2000 for a short spin and I must say I was very impressed .

It kind of feels like the FTO on a normal drive but when you build up the revs and you pass 6000 rpms now that's another league .The engine sound is absolutely gorgeous (and I'm not a honda fan :) )
The interior is nice and big for a 2 seater and the boot has plenty of space.

Future clasic deffo
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Return to Other Cars