Do guards fine us for loud exhausts now or what

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Do guards fine us for loud exhausts now or what

Postby blackphoenix626 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 pm

I have a 4 inch carbon fibre exhaust that i paid E150 first day and have had it laying out in the garage gathering dust for quite some time now but today i rang my mechanic to ask him when he can put it on, it will be early next week by the sounds of things, but it got me to thinking are the guards worse now than ever. when i used have it on my old car i brought quite a bit of attention to myself with it but was never fined, i was told to appear at my local station with a silencer once or twice but that was it.
it seems to me that theres a lack of fellas and girls going around with them now so im just wondering is it coz the guards are giving out fines or points or whatever so i was wondering do ye know what the situation is with it, i dont want to put it on and then get a kick up the ar$e, your thoughts?
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Do guards fine us for loud exhausts now or what

Postby Bernard » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Unless it was very loud I wouldn't be too concerned about being pulled.
What would worry me is the NCT, I just failed for noise and it's a quiet exhaust.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby blackphoenix626 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 pm

well what im gonna do is ask my mechanic is there any easier simplier way of putting it in that would make it easier taking off in time for the nct, could be a pain but at least ill have it for 11 months outta 12. what exactly did they put it down for, noise polution or something? btw when i had it on before i didnt have a cat so it was pretty loud.
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Yep, NCT would be the worry.

My other half (until I nagged him) had an exhaust on his lotus registering 111db and was never stopped. I actually had ear damage from the fooking thing. Don't get me started on tunnels :D
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby blackphoenix626 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 am

I dont know how loud 111db is but if it was louder than my old rog then god help ya ha, i remeber one time i was flying in the road and turned a bend, there were the guards waiting and i was pulled, the guard came up smiling at me and said "jaysus, i was expecting a pair of wings to pop out and you take off" i knew then he was gonna let me off haha.
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 am

111 db is technically the same as a rock concert :lol:
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 pm

I had a guard tell me once me car was too loud too but that was a few years ago, wanted me to go into the station the next week to show him my new exhaust, I told him the car was legal according to the nct and as far as I was aware that once that nct was in date the car was road worthy, he was a young fella on a power trip, so he told me then that he'd leave me off this time. As if I should be thanking him or something.
Nowadays I'm not so sure though, I presume once you're NCT cert is in date then you can use the same argument, especially as noise is (sometimes) measured in the test.
I think theres a baffle or a butterfly valve thingy you can get to put into the exhaust that by turning it on you can reduce the noise. Dan did you install something like this before?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby blackphoenix626 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:22 pm

i had a silencer on mine before, youd put it into the exhaust and it reduced the size of it to maybe 2 inches, it stayed on with bolts but sure i hardly ever used it,i dont even know where it is now.
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby holio » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 pm

The guards cant really do very much to prove how overly loud your car is, their was talk a while back about all squard cars having a sound meter added to their equipment in the boot along with a light meter for testing overly tinted windows but think that idea was scraped.
However, a large loud exhaust will grab their attention and you will want to make sure you always have your car taxed, insured, nct'ed and never let the tyres go below the legal limit cause if they pull you over they will try find something to do you on.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

My exhaust was quite loud (Blueflame), never had any bothers from the Gardai, depends on how you drive I think.
colm_mcm

Postby optical illusion » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 am

blackphoenix626 wrote:"jaysus, i was expecting a pair of wings to pop out and you take off"

Genuine tea out nostrils moment there.

StewyD32 wrote:111 db is technically the same as a rock concert :lol:

Yep, there was a rock concert going on in my head alright. They wouldn't let him do any track days in England/Spa until he had a cock fitted. Yes. A cock. Look it up.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 am

:smt003
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 pm

optical illusion wrote:... They wouldn't let him do any track days in England/Spa until he had a cock fitted. Yes. A cock. Look it up.

Excellent idea - male only trackdays.

I had one of these in the exhaust on my first 350Z and it was sold as a "bung" which I'm sure you'll agree is a more PC term. :P

It was a pretty big "bung" as well. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion