Big Recommendation for Carcraft

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Big Recommendation for Carcraft

Postby soc » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:06 pm

Got the bumper on the golf touched up by Carcraft yesterday - looks great. 99 euro for one large scuff mark (index finger size) and one smaller (50 cent piece size) scuff mark. Looks like a really good job.

For anyone who might be thinking of getting stone chips done on front splitter/bumper/bonnet they could be worth a call - www.carcraft.ie

On a sour note the front wishbones on the golf were completely shot and have to be replaced - advance said it was because the wheels were too big but other golf owners have said it's because the previous owner must have really ragged the car over speed humps/potholes/etc in between when Paul (Nolan) checked the car and when I actually picked it up (10 days) - very annoying and really tests your faith in human nature!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:15 pm

Shane wrote
other golf owners have said it's because the previous owner must have really ragged the car over speed humps/potholes/etc in between when Paul (Nolan) checked the car and when I actually picked it up (10 days) - very annoying and really tests your faith in human nature!

Shane I find this very hard to believe. Yes I can imagine somebody wanting to take their car for a last lash but I can't see that they would intentionally set out to damage the car. I'm with advance on this one, and or general wear and tear.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:28 pm

Mustang wrote:Shane wrote
other golf owners have said it's because the previous owner must have really ragged the car over speed humps/potholes/etc in between when Paul (Nolan) checked the car and when I actually picked it up (10 days) - very annoying and really tests your faith in human nature!

Shane I find this very hard to believe. Yes I can imagine somebody wanting to take their car for a last lash but I can't see that they would intentionally set out to damage the car. I'm with advance on this one, and or general wear and tear.

Yea maybe but would rolling on wheels that are too large wear out the wishbones in 10 days? Cause Paul checked the car over pretty thoroughly and he didn't notice anything - in fact he was pretty suprised when I rang him Saturday morning to tell him about the knocking. And I drove it and there was definitely no knocking -

But then it was rolling on the 17's when both paul and I looked at it and the guy then swopped these 17's for the 18's (some story about his mate wanting the 17's back) and hey presto knock city..... the guy at advance gave the impression that all was not well and there could be other problems once he starts stripping to replace the wishbones... or maybe that was just his way of trying to get more work out of me......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:15 pm

Hey CJ,

any chance we could add carcraft to the list on the services page?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:14 am

shane wrote:Hey CJ,

Sorry Shane, no.

Ah course I will ;) (When I get around to it that is :roll: )

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:07 am

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:Hey CJ,

Sorry Shane, no.

Ah course I will ;) (When I get around to it that is :roll: )

CJ

hehe LOL - actually you had me there for a few seconds, I was even expecting some story about a bad experience you had with these guys.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:07 pm

[quote="shane
Yea maybe but would rolling on wheels that are too large wear out the wishbones in 10 days? Cause Paul checked the car over pretty thoroughly and he didn't notice anything - in fact he was pretty suprised when I rang him Saturday morning to tell him about the knocking. And I drove it and there was definitely no knocking -
[/quote]

Just a thought, maybe he swapped them off and put bad ones on? His buddy needed a replacement set or something?

Just a guess...

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:21 pm

Kevinod wrote
Just a thought, maybe he swapped them off and put bad ones on? His buddy needed a replacement set or something?

Kev are you referring to the front wishbones? If so, the thought had occured to me too. Very sneaky if that is the case, seems like a more likely explanantion than him intentionally, trying to break the car by driving over rough surfaces over a 10 day period.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:33 pm

Mustang wrote:Kevinod wrote

Kev are you referring to the front wishbones? If so, the thought had occured to me too.

This had occurred to me too - he said he had a mate who works for Brady's so maybe they threw on a good set of wishbones when showing me the car and when Paul looked at it and then put back on the busted ones before I took the car.... cause right now I cannot think of any other explanation.

I might ask Advance if that coule be a possibility - maybe there's indication on the bolts (e.g. recent marks from spanners, sockets etc)

seems like a more likely explanantion than him intentionally, trying to break the car by driving over rough surfaces over a 10 day period.

agreed - but I didn't mean to imply he might have intentionally tried to damage the car - just that mabe he drives hard and the 18's helped bust the wishbones...
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:41 pm

Shane I take it that the problem is worn ball joints on the wishbones? If so can the ball joints be replaced seperately or it is a case of replacing the whole wishbone (as would be the case on an FTO). Just curious, with some cars you can buy the ball joint seperately (cheaper).
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:00 pm

Mustang wrote:Shane I take it that the problem is worn ball joints on the wishbones? If so can the ball joints be replaced seperately or it is a case of replacing the whole wishbone (as would be the case on an FTO). Just curious, with some cars you can buy the ball joint seperately (cheaper).

Usually it's just the bushes that go and they can be replaced but in this case the entire wishbones had to be replaced at 100 euro each -
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic